LOWER POTTSGROVE TWP., Pa. - Police are warning the public of a telephone scam involving someone trying to convince would-be victims of a problem with their computer.
The caller's goal, police said, is get the victim to sign onto the computer, allowing the caller to take control of it.
Police in Lower Pottsgrove Twp., Montgomery Co., said they've received two separate reports of the attempted scam from elderly residents over the past week.
Both residents reported receiving calls during the morning hours from a man with a foreign accent, but with a Pennsylvania phone number on the caller ID, police said.
The caller recited information in an attempt to gain the residents' confidence and then advised them of a problem with their computer and of the need for them to sign on, said police, adding that neither resident fell victim to the scam.
Complying with the caller's request, police said, would put personal information, including identity and financial accounts, at risk for hacking or fraud.
Anyone who receives a similar call is advised to hang up and notify police.
- Woman assaulted, robbed and bound in closet for 4 days
- Support hotline created in Bucks County for first responders
- Bill Cosby case to stay in Montco, be decided by outside jury
- Trial date changed for woman accused of shooting, killing ex-husband
- Judge rules Bill Cosby case to be decided by outside jury
- Judge: Only one Cosby accuser can testify at sex assault trial
- Allentown hit-and-run victim dies week after incident
- Updated Nearly record warmth this afternoon and tomorrow with a few showers
- It's Fastnacht Day in Pennsylvania
- Updated Road blocks: Stopping drug trafficking in Reading
- Updated UGI customers to see slight increase in gas bill
- Updated Police arrest Hunterdon man on assault charges
- Allentown police arrest unwelcome guest outside apartment building
- Man allegedly tries to head-butt arresting officers, damages patrol car
- Man tells police he stole mom's money as she slept
- Allentown man charged in connection with robbery and shooting