LOWER POTTSGROVE TWP., Pa. - Police are warning the public of a telephone scam involving someone trying to convince would-be victims of a problem with their computer.
The caller's goal, police said, is get the victim to sign onto the computer, allowing the caller to take control of it.
Police in Lower Pottsgrove Twp., Montgomery Co., said they've received two separate reports of the attempted scam from elderly residents over the past week.
Both residents reported receiving calls during the morning hours from a man with a foreign accent, but with a Pennsylvania phone number on the caller ID, police said.
The caller recited information in an attempt to gain the residents' confidence and then advised them of a problem with their computer and of the need for them to sign on, said police, adding that neither resident fell victim to the scam.
Complying with the caller's request, police said, would put personal information, including identity and financial accounts, at risk for hacking or fraud.
Anyone who receives a similar call is advised to hang up and notify police.
Bill Cosby's lawyers accused Pennsylvania prosecutors of trying to "systematically" keep blacks off the jury Tuesday after prosecutors used their strikes to keep two black women off the panel.Read More »
- Manchester Arena managed by suburban Philadelphia firm
- Jury selection enters 2nd day in Bill Cosby sex assault case
- 5 jurors picked for Cosby trial, 2 know a sex assault victim
- 3 white men, 2 white women seated for Cosby jury
- 2 white men, white woman selected for Cosby jury
- DA: Man mocks, assaults person with cerebral palsy
- APD looking for woman who yelled "sorry" after dragging boy on bike behind car
- The "Textalyzer" could be coming to a police station near you
- XO Communications cutting more than 50 jobs in Berks
- 11 people seated on Cosby jury; defense sees race bias
- Northampton DA investigates trooper-involved shooting
- Fidget Spinners causing controversy in schools
- Giraffe arrives at Lehigh Valley Zoo
- BCAP holds open house at new location in downtown Reading
- Report: MGM/Sands sale falls through
- Leesport VFW honors young soldier home from service