DOYLESTOWN, Pa. - The father of a 2-year-old Bucks County boy who accidentally shot himself to death at his grandparent's home has been charged with involuntary manslaughter and related offenses.
Nicholas Wyllie, 26, of Quakertown was also arraigned Wednesday in Bucks County on child endangerment and reckless endangering charges.
Authorities said Benjamin Smith died September 12 at a hospital shortly after being injured by a gunshot wound to the chest at a home in Milford Township.
District Attorney Matthew Weintraub called it a "terribly tragic death" that "was 100 percent avoidable."
"There's the saying guns don't kill people, people kill people. Well, in this case, that is false," Weintraub said.
The DA alleged that Wyllie had left one of the handguns he owned unsecured, although the child was accustomed to playing with toy handguns.
"Unfortunately, that presents incredibly attractive danger for any 2-year-old. Little Benjamin was attracted to it and it caused him to kill himself," Weintraub said.
Defense attorney John Fioravanti Jr. declined immediate comment Wednesday but said "I certainly will later."
Detentions for the students who walked out will continue for the next few Saturdays and so will the protests.Read More »
- Jury selection for Bill Cosby retrial delayed until April 2
- Local artist commemorates Eagles Championship Parade with unique print
- Police looking for assault suspect
- Company behind Florida's bridge design has local ties
- Bucks County rehousing program alleviates homeless population
- 'Match Day' a right of passage for medical students
- Complex storm system brings snow, sleet and rain on Tuesday, then snow on Wednesday
- Updated Amy Yu's mother speaks to 69 News about daughter's return, Kevin Esterly
- Updated Pennsylvania's new Congressional Districts are here to stay
- Pennridge students use punishment to propel new movement
- Catasauqua police officer chosen as A-Treat Hero
- Jury seated for trial of parents charged in daughter's death
- Easton senior wants rally to support Second Amendment rights
- Commissioner says sale of Lower Mac. property was far from fair
- Positive Parenting: Kindergarten - Does age matter?
- Health Beat: Adult onset asthma: A treatable mystery