POTTSTOWN, Pa. - Police in Pottstown are investigating the deadly shooting of a man found inside a vehicle Thursday night.
The victim was identified by the Montgomery County coroner's office as Steven Mitchell, 20. He was discovered by police shortly before 10 p.m. in the 400 block of Jefferson Avenue as officers were responding to a report of a suspicious vehicle.
"I'm still shocked. It's like, I just saw him," said Reina Briddell, who told 69 News she often saw Mitchell driving around the neighborhood. She said the two had crossed paths hours before the homicide.
"I saw him earlier that day before he died, so that's why it really hit me. I was like 'oh wow,' that's sad," she said.
The homicide is being investigated by both Pottstown police and the Montgomery County district attorney's office. As of Friday afternoon, phone calls made to officials at both offices were unreturned.
No arrests have been made.
Meanwhile, local residents told 69 News that they're living in fear. Many said they hear gunshots frequently.
"I've been in this town my whole life and to see it just going down right now, violence nonstop. It's saddening," said Christian Gonzalez.
"Last couple of weeks I've heard at least five, six shots," said Willie Harris. "It's not like it used to be. It's not really that safe."
Anyone with information is urged to contact Pottstown police at 610-970-6570 or Montgomery County detectives at 610-278-3368.
Now has interim police chief and a cruiser.Read More »
- Pa. court tightens rules for seizing properties tied to crime
- Warrants issued for man in attack on person with cerebral palsy
- Man arrested in hit-and-run crash with school bus
- New app aims to save lives in Montgomery County
- 2 counselors overdose and die at Chester Co. halfway house
- Jury of 12 on Bill Cosby sex assault case includes 2 blacks
- Teacher who had sex with student in cemetery going back to jail
- Police raid home in Phillipsburg
- Man killed in crash with fire truck in Allen Township identified
- One Freddy winner's emotional day
- Boyertown State Theatre goes digital
- Police: Teen shot in Pottstown
- Pennsylvania Shakespeare Festival right around the corner
- BK's Helping Hands lives up to the name
- Camelback Road bridge reopens
- Alpine Mountain Ski area sold