NORRISTOWN, Pa. - Police have arrested a second suspect in the deadly shooting of a man in Montgomery County, the district attorney's office announced Wednesday.
Maurice Andrews Jr. had been at large since the killing of Victor Enrique Bonilla Baez outside Brian's Cafe in the 300 block of Jefferson Avenue in Pottstown on March 22.
Andrews worked side by side with his cousin, Michael Hinton, to kill Baez, police said.
Hinton has been in custody since the day of the homicide when a constable spotted him limping in the 500 block of Lesher Alley and stopped to check on his well-being. Hinton had accidentally been shot when Andrews opened fire on Baez, police said.
Montgomery County prosecutors announced charges of first, second and third degree murder against both men on April 10.
Hinton, who was led into his arraignment in a wheelchair, told investigators he was approached by Andrews the day before the homicide and that Andrews told him he was involved in an attempted kidnapping of Baez's nephew on March 20, officials said.
Both men, then armed with guns, traveled to Brian's Cafe on March 22, said officials, adding that Andrews told Hinton he wanted to kill Baez.
Both men, knowing Baez was inside the bar, waited outside for him to leave, officials said. A struggle ensued as Hinton and Andrews drew their guns when Baez came outside, said officials, who added that Andrews then opened fire, striking both Hinton and Baez, the latter of whom later died.
Authorities have released the names of the victims in a double stabbing in Atlantic City that left a city woman dead and a Pennsylvania man injured.Read More »
- At least 1 killed in Upper Providence crash
- New Jersey animal control officer arrested for sexual assault of minor
- Montco to conduct DUI checkpoint, roving patrols in early March
- Bucks man ID'd as victim of stabbing in Atlantic City
- Woman visiting husband's grave dies after cemetery crash
- Local roller derby team changing the rules
- Updated Man stabs wife, stepdaughter in car in Allentown
- Updated Van rear-ends box truck on Route 222
- Updated Immigration officials detain alleged undocumented immigrants in Poconos
- Updated Attorney general says costs related to Kane reached $3.6M
- Updated Oreo, Peeps team up for new cookie flavor
- Health Beat: Stem cell therapy for osteoarthritis
- Police arrest alleged gunman in pizza delivery stick-up
- Updated Lehigh County executive gives State of the County
- 'Very few' tickets remain for Miranda Lambert in Reading
- Man dies after crashing into tree in Lower Milford