NORRISTOWN, Pa. - Police have arrested a second suspect in the deadly shooting of a man in Montgomery County, the district attorney's office announced Wednesday.
Maurice Andrews Jr. had been at large since the killing of Victor Enrique Bonilla Baez outside Brian's Cafe in the 300 block of Jefferson Avenue in Pottstown on March 22.
Andrews worked side by side with his cousin, Michael Hinton, to kill Baez, police said.
Hinton has been in custody since the day of the homicide when a constable spotted him limping in the 500 block of Lesher Alley and stopped to check on his well-being. Hinton had accidentally been shot when Andrews opened fire on Baez, police said.
Montgomery County prosecutors announced charges of first, second and third degree murder against both men on April 10.
Hinton, who was led into his arraignment in a wheelchair, told investigators he was approached by Andrews the day before the homicide and that Andrews told him he was involved in an attempted kidnapping of Baez's nephew on March 20, officials said.
Both men, then armed with guns, traveled to Brian's Cafe on March 22, said officials, adding that Andrews told Hinton he wanted to kill Baez.
Both men, knowing Baez was inside the bar, waited outside for him to leave, officials said. A struggle ensued as Hinton and Andrews drew their guns when Baez came outside, said officials, who added that Andrews then opened fire, striking both Hinton and Baez, the latter of whom later died.
- 2 counselors overdose and die at Chester Co. halfway house
- Jury of 12 on Bill Cosby sex assault case includes 2 blacks
- Cosby arrives for Day 3 of jury selection
- 11 people seated on Cosby jury; defense sees race bias
- Manchester Arena managed by suburban Philadelphia firm
- Jury selection enters 2nd day in Bill Cosby sex assault case
- 2 dead in I-81 fatal crash in Schuylkill County
- Updated The Russo family is growing!
- Cooler with occasional rain and a thunderstorm today
- Governor Wolf plans to sign Real ID law
- Updated Allentown kicks of summer movie series with 'Rogue One'
- Mural appears on Quaker Maid plant on Rte.10 in Reading
- Reading police investigating shooting
- Life Lessons: Tips to help kids sleep
- Lower Nazareth Board of Supervisors passes medical marijuana ordinance
- Allentown Rotary fountain receives Lehigh County OK