NORRISTOWN, Pa. - One man has been arrested and another is being sought in the deadly shooting of another man in Pottstown last month.
Montgomery County prosecutors on Wednesday announced murder charges against Michael Hinton and Maurice Andrews Jr. in the deadly shooting of Victor Enrique Bonilla Baez on March 22. Andrews is still at large.
Hinton has actually been in custody on a parole detainer since the day of the homicide when a constable spotted him limping in the 500 block of Lesher Alley and stopped to check on his well-being. Hinton told the constable he had been cut on the hand and shot in the leg, said officials, who noted that Hinton provided them with a false name.
Hinton was then taken to a hospital, where he provided detectives with information about Baez's death, officials said. Hinton told detectives he was approached by Andrews, his cousin, the day before the homicide and that Andrews told him he was involved in an attempted kidnapping of Baez's nephew on March 20, officials said.
Both men, then armed with guns, traveled to Brian's Cafe in the 300 block of Jefferson Avenue in Pottstown on March 22, said officials, adding that Andrews told Hinton he wanted to kill Baez.
Both men, knowing Baez was inside the bar, waited outside for him to leave, officials said. A struggle ensued as Hinton and Andrews drew their guns when Baez came outside, said officials, who added that Andrews then opened fire, striking both Hinton and Baez, the latter of whom later died. Both Hinton and Andrews fled the scene.
Hinton was led into court Wednesday in a wheelchair to be charged with first, second and third degree murder and related offenses.
Andrews is still being sought on the same charges, said officials, adding that he should be considered armed and dangerous. Anyone with information about Andrews' whereabouts is asked to call the Montgomery County detectives at 610-278-3373.
- Woman assaulted, robbed and bound in closet for 4 days
- Support hotline created in Bucks County for first responders
- Bill Cosby case to stay in Montco, be decided by outside jury
- Trial date changed for woman accused of shooting, killing ex-husband
- Judge rules Bill Cosby case to be decided by outside jury
- Judge: Only one Cosby accuser can testify at sex assault trial
- Allentown hit-and-run victim dies week after incident
- Time to get your fill of fastnachts
- Updated Nearly record warmth today and tomorrow with a few showers
- Road Blocks - Stopping drug trafficking in Reading
- Updated It's Fastnacht Day in Pennsylvania
- Updated Allentown police arrest unwelcome guest outside apartment building
- Man allegedly tries to head-butt arresting officers, damages patrol car
- Man tells police he stole mom's money as she slept
- Allentown man charged in connection with robbery and shooting
- Police: Nurse recorded videos of naked patients