NORRISTOWN, Pa. - One man has been arrested and another is being sought in the deadly shooting of another man in Pottstown last month.
Montgomery County prosecutors on Wednesday announced murder charges against Michael Hinton and Maurice Andrews Jr. in the deadly shooting of Victor Enrique Bonilla Baez on March 22. Andrews is still at large.
Hinton has actually been in custody on a parole detainer since the day of the homicide when a constable spotted him limping in the 500 block of Lesher Alley and stopped to check on his well-being. Hinton told the constable he had been cut on the hand and shot in the leg, said officials, who noted that Hinton provided them with a false name.
Hinton was then taken to a hospital, where he provided detectives with information about Baez's death, officials said. Hinton told detectives he was approached by Andrews, his cousin, the day before the homicide and that Andrews told him he was involved in an attempted kidnapping of Baez's nephew on March 20, officials said.
Both men, then armed with guns, traveled to Brian's Cafe in the 300 block of Jefferson Avenue in Pottstown on March 22, said officials, adding that Andrews told Hinton he wanted to kill Baez.
Both men, knowing Baez was inside the bar, waited outside for him to leave, officials said. A struggle ensued as Hinton and Andrews drew their guns when Baez came outside, said officials, who added that Andrews then opened fire, striking both Hinton and Baez, the latter of whom later died. Both Hinton and Andrews fled the scene.
Hinton was led into court Wednesday in a wheelchair to be charged with first, second and third degree murder and related offenses.
Andrews is still being sought on the same charges, said officials, adding that he should be considered armed and dangerous. Anyone with information about Andrews' whereabouts is asked to call the Montgomery County detectives at 610-278-3373.
A Bucks County man has been sentenced to life in prison without possibility of parole, plus 15 to 30 years in the shooting death of a friend.Read More »
- East Greenville moves forward with police department
- Pa. court tightens rules for seizing properties tied to crime
- Warrants issued for man in attack on person with cerebral palsy
- Man arrested in hit-and-run crash with school bus
- New app aims to save lives in Montgomery County
- 2 counselors overdose and die at Chester Co. halfway house
- Great white shark Mary Lee detected off New Jersey coast
- Catasauqua store robbed at gunpoint
- Bucks man gets life plus 15 to 30 years in friend's shooting death
- PHOTOS: Observing Memorial Day
- In opioid crisis, a new risk for police: accidental overdose
- Monroe County farm holds annual Farm Animal Frolic
- Package that led to Newark airport evacuation deemed safe
- Fire destroys barn in Lehigh Twp.
- Artvana could take the place of former Mayfair Festival
- Coroner identifies man found dead in Schuylkill River