MILFORD TWP., Pa. - The Milford Township Board of Supervisors has finally settled the litigation of a property dispute that dates back to August of 1996.
"It's something that I never thought I would see resolved," said Chairman Robert Mansfield.
Over a decade and a half ago, Milford resident, Lars Erik Forde, was informed that he had committed a zoning violation by converting the garage on his Upper Ridge St. property to include three extra apartments.
Forde's permit specified that only one additional residential accessory could be added to the original residence.
Following a Bucks County Court ruling in favor of the Township, Forde attempted several appeals, none of which succeeded. What ensued were years of painful litigation according to officials.
"The apartments have long been sorted out," said Solicitor Terry Clemons. "We wanted to make sure this wouldn't come back."
What was left to be settled was the cost of fines issued against Forde. The initial fees levied against him required him to pay a $100 a day fine until the dispute was resolved.
Instead the two parties agreed to have Forde pay $20,000 as restitution.
When asked to estimate how much Forde would've had to pay under the initial fines, Chairman Mansfield put it simply: "a lot."
As per the litigation agreement the two parcels will be consolidated and the 9.8 acre in the disputed area will be protected as a natural conservation area.
"We finally brought this to a head," said Clemons.
"It is with great joy that I make the motion to approve this motion," said Mansfield, who has been a member of the Milford Board of Supervisors for all 18 years of the long drawn out legal dispute.
Supervisor Thomas Courduff added that several of his grandchildren were born throughout the course of litigation.
The motion was eagerly passed by a 2-0 vote. Board Vice-Chairman, Charles Strunk, was not in attendance.
Now has interim police chief and a cruiser.Read More »
- Pa. court tightens rules for seizing properties tied to crime
- Warrants issued for man in attack on person with cerebral palsy
- Man arrested in hit-and-run crash with school bus
- New app aims to save lives in Montgomery County
- 2 counselors overdose and die at Chester Co. halfway house
- Jury of 12 on Bill Cosby sex assault case includes 2 blacks
- Coroner identifies man found dead in Schuylkill River
- Man's 'suspicious' death in Frackville ruled a homicide
- Artvana could take the place of former Mayfair Festival
- Former Phillies pitcher Jim Bunning Passes Away at 85
- Holiday travelers will encounter rising prices at the pump
- Summer recipes on the grill
- Gregg Allman of the Allman Brothers Band Dies at Age 69
- World War II veteran discusses issues faced by those returning from war
- 75-year-old man dies days after crash on Route 22
- Memorial honors Lehigh Valley veteran