WEST POTTSGROVE TWP., Pa. - A Montgomery County community is in mourning after a teenager was killed in a tragic accident Friday.
Michael Finnegan, 16, of the 700 block of Holly Drive in Stowe, was hit by a car around 8:45 p.m. at the intersection of Manatawny Street and Sell Road in West Pottsgrove Township, according to police.
Police said the Pottsgrove High School junior was riding his bike down a steep hill and collided with a car in the intersection.
The impact broke the bike in half.
The teen was flown to Reading Hospital, where he was pronounced dead early Saturday morning, according to the Berks County Coroner's Office.
An official at the coroner's office said Finnegan died from head and chest injuries.
The death has been ruled an accident.
Friends and classmates stopped by the scene of the accident Saturday to pay their respects.
"He wasn't my friend, he was more like a brother," said Tyler Pace, a friend.
Signs, cards and flowers were left in Finnegan's memory.
"There's a sign over there…I wanted to sign it, but I didn't know what to write because I didn't want to believe it was true," Pace said.
Family members organized a vigil Saturday night.
"I'll never forget what he did for me. And I'll never forget him," Pace said.
Pace said Finnegan was known for his sense of humor and love for life.
"People like him, when you meet them, make you want to wish and hope there are more people like them. Because if there were this world would be 100 times better," Pace said.
A Bucks County man has been sentenced to life in prison without possibility of parole, plus 15 to 30 years in the shooting death of a friend.Read More »
- East Greenville moves forward with police department
- Pa. court tightens rules for seizing properties tied to crime
- Warrants issued for man in attack on person with cerebral palsy
- Man arrested in hit-and-run crash with school bus
- New app aims to save lives in Montgomery County
- 2 counselors overdose and die at Chester Co. halfway house
- Updated Lehigh Valley Zoo giraffe dies from neck injury
- Updated Crash in Penn Twp. closes Rt. 183 in both directions
- Purple Heart recipient gets honored Memorial Day weekend
- Catasauqua police nab armed robbery suspect
- Countryside is making a strong comeback
- Local man takes business idea to the beach
- Bucks man gets life plus 15 to 30 years in friend's shooting death
- PHOTOS: Observing Memorial Day
- Great white shark Mary Lee detected off New Jersey coast
- In opioid crisis, a new risk for police: accidental overdose