NORRISTOWN, Pa. - Officials in Montgomery County have agreed to issue same-sex marriage licenses, despite a Pennsylvania law that bans the practice.
D. Bruce Hanes, the county's register of wills, said he wants to come down "on the right side of history and the law."
Hanes had been prepared to issue a license Tuesday to two women who contacted him last week.
The women, however, changed their minds following a discussion Tuesday morning with the Americans Civil Liberties Union of Pennsylvania, which has a separate lawsuit pending to challenge the state law.
"Had the couple sought the license today, I would have issued it and wished them all the freedom, independence, happiness and rights that our commonwealth's Constitution purports to grant to them," Hanes said.
Lawyer Michael Diamondstein represents the would-be newlyweds, two doctors in their 40s.
Diamondstein said the couple decided "today is not the day," because of fears the marriage would be overturned, but he said they still hope to marry in Pennsylvania.
Authorities have released the names of the victims in a double stabbing in Atlantic City that left a city woman dead and a Pennsylvania man injured.Read More »
- At least 1 killed in Upper Providence crash
- New Jersey animal control officer arrested for sexual assault of minor
- Montco to conduct DUI checkpoint, roving patrols in early March
- Bucks man ID'd as victim of stabbing in Atlantic City
- Woman visiting husband's grave dies after cemetery crash
- Local roller derby team changing the rules
- Updated Man accused of stabbing wife, daughter-in-law in Allentown
- Updated Record-challenging warmth today, close to records Friday
- Updated Chicago to rock Musikfest this summer
- Saylorsburg man faces DUI charge, child was in car
- Life Lessons: Raising a tech entrepreneur
- Easton adopts 20-year comprehensive plan
- Lehigh County supports anti-gerrymandering bill
- Allentown Parks & Rec Committee gives nod to new 'Auburn Cross Trails Park'
- Reading parents vent frustrations regarding safety in schools
- Quakertown man sentenced for defrauding fraternities, sororities at Lehigh University