PHILADELPHIA - It's a modern makeover for a more efficient holiday tradition.
"We went from incandescent light bulbs to all LEDs," said Curt Mangel, the curator of organs at Macy's in Philadelphia.
There are now 17,000 LED lights, using just 1/10th the power of the old lights, and a brand new tree at the Christmas light show, titled the "Christmas Pageant of Lights" at the Macy's 13th and Market streets store in Philadelphia. It's a holiday tradition that has been delighting shoppers for 58 years.
"I like to think that Macy's owns Christmas in this city," said Mangel.
Macy's is certainly cornering the market with this kitschy display. When the show starts, you'll hear the voice of Julie Andrews narrating the enchanting story.
"It's very moving to see four generations of a family sitting in the grand court, watching and sharing it with a new child and realizing these great family histories of admiration for the show," Mangel said.
It's all digital, and a show that used to take two months to construct now goes up in just three days.
Mangel can also start the show remotely from his iPhone, but even with all the technical upgrades, the old feeling of wonder remains.
The finale is still a crowd-pleaser, almost literally bringing the house down with the largest playing pipe organ in the world.
Now has interim police chief and a cruiser.Read More »
- Pa. court tightens rules for seizing properties tied to crime
- Warrants issued for man in attack on person with cerebral palsy
- Man arrested in hit-and-run crash with school bus
- New app aims to save lives in Montgomery County
- 2 counselors overdose and die at Chester Co. halfway house
- Jury of 12 on Bill Cosby sex assault case includes 2 blacks
- Former Phillies pitcher Jim Bunning Passes Away at 85
- Updated Man's 'suspicious' death in Frackville ruled a homicide
- Body found in Schuylkill River in Cumru Township
- Holiday travelers will encounter rising prices at the pump
- Summer recipes on the grill
- Gregg Allman of the Allman Brothers Band Dies at Age 69
- World War II veteran discusses issues faced by those returning from war
- 75-year-old man dies days after crash on Route 22
- Updated Memorial honors Lehigh Valley veteran
- Summer getaways in the Lehigh Valley