NORRISTOWN, Pa. - PennDOT crews load truck after truck with salt from a maintenance yard in Norristown as they prepare to tackle another winter storm.
PennDOT Maintenance Manager Bob Kennedy usually plans where crews treat roads ahead of storms, but planning for Tuesday night has not been easy as forecasting this storm has been a challenge.
"The main thing we wait for is when we can get a consensus on the weather, when it's coming, and this one was all over the place," Kennedy said.
Still, many communities are taking precautions.
Officials in Bethlehem are working to decide if a snow emergency is necessary. In Allentown, Waste Management is getting an early start on collections and is urging people who usually leave trash and recycling outside on Tuesday night to have their items out before 10 p.m And starting at 8 p.m. Tuesday, PennDOT will ban certain types of trucks, RVs and trailers along the Pennsylvania Turnpike and Interstates 76 and 95.
"If there's anyway you can delay your travel plans please do it. Let the crews go out there," Kennedy said.
In the Lehigh Valley, transportation officials are also preparing to clear roads. PennDOT alone has more than 200 trucks ready to plow when snow starts to stick.
"If you do need to travel make sure you're prepared, an emergency kit just in case, enough gas and make sure you are ready if you have to go out there," said Sean Brown of PennDOT.
PennDOT officials say this season has been tough on workers because between the last couple of nor'easters, crews were busy filling potholes. Storms like the one that's happening now only delay those road repairs.
As Southwest Airlines Flight 1380 experienced an emergency in the skies over Berks County on Tuesday, passenger Hollie Mackey was torn between trying to save a woman whose upper body was being sucked out of a broken window and protecting the child...Read More »
- Cosby judge puts off ruling on deposition
- Cosby judge expected to rule on deposition of Andrea Constand's confidante
- Toxicologists testify about Benadryl, quaaludes in Cosby retrial
- Philly among 15 cities considered for Army's Futures Command
- Montgomery County warns of mosquito season
- Local counties receive funding for summer internship programs
- Man charged in fatal Allentown crash, believed to be in Dominican Republic
- Updated Plane passenger dilemma: Protect child or try to save victim
- Updated Cosby judge puts off ruling on deposition
- National School Walkout renews calls for gun safety
- Life Lessons: Resumes can make or break you
- Lower Macungie hikes fee for developers
- Democratic candidates debate hot-button issues
- Northampton County disbanding gaming authority
- Ray Neag warmly remembered; 'He's meant so much to Berks'
- Lehigh Valley teams going to World Finals in scholastic competition