PHILADELPHIA, Pa. - A Philadelphia police officer was shot during a struggle with an armed man inside a convenience store late Tuesday morning, police said.
The 41-year-old officer, Edward Davies, was shot in the abdomen at 4th and West Annsbury streets in the city's Hunting Park section shortly before noon, said First Deputy Commissioner Richard Ross Jr., Philadelphia Police Dept.
Davies, a six-year veteran of the force, was rushed to Temple University Hospital for treatment. He was last reported to be in critical condition.
The 31-year-old suspect was apprehended, said Ross.
The circumstances that led to the shooting began at 5th and Allegheny when another officer stopped the suspect in a vehicle, Ross said.
The suspect then drove off, later ditching the car before running into the convenience store at 4th and West Annsbury, Ross said.
A handful of officers went in after the suspect and engaged in what Ross described as a "violent struggle" that lasted for a couple minutes before Davies was shot.
Mayor Michael Nutter said the shooting demonstrates the day-to-day struggles Philadelphia officers are up against when it comes to gun violence.
A judge will let only one other accuser testify at Bill Cosby's sexual assault trial to support charges the comedian drugged and molested a woman at his estate near Philadelphia.Read More »
- Too few flushes get legislative candidate thrown off ballot
- Pete Rose appears on Phillies' wall of fame ballot
- Philly mayor: $5.7M beverage tax haul doubles projections
- Sunoco building 2 pipelines, not just 1 across Pennsylvania
- Authorities identify 2 victims of Atlantic City stabbing
- At least 1 killed in Upper Providence crash
- Public memorial service planned for Al Boscov
- Man shot, killed by Reading police after allegedly pointing shotgun at officers
- Strong storms move through the region
- Police investigating morning shooting in Reading
- Police searching for missing man in Bethlehem
- Bethlehem police searching for missing elderly man
- Judge: Man charged in deadly stabbing will remain jailed
- Police work to bring back murder suspect who fled state with 6-year-old daughter
- Police: Driver owes nearly $13,000 in unpaid tolls, fees
- Motorists seeing slightly lower gas prices in New Jersey