PHILADELPHIA - The transit agency serving the Philadelphia area has publicized contingency plans in case of an employee walkout.
The Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority's contract with transportation workers expires at 12:01 a.m. Saturday.
SEPTA officials said Friday that they've asked the union for a three-month contract extension.
The Transport Workers Union Local 234, which represents about 4,700 employees, said its members will remain on the job while negotiations continue.
"We're willing to go the extra mile to reach a fair agreement," said Willie Brown, president, TWU Local 234. "We're not willing to sign on to a lengthy contract extension or make hasty decisions having a long-term effect on our members' family finances."
If a work stoppage becomes necessary, union officials said it will involve all three TWU bargaining units. Contracts for employees at SEPTA's Frontier and Red Arrow divisions expire during the first week of April.
The last strike by SEPTA transit workers in 2009 lasted six days.
Actor Bill Cosby is set to return to a Pennsylvania courtroom Monday to ask a judge to bring in outside jurors in his criminal sex assault case.Read More »
- Judge: Only one Cosby accuser can testify at sex assault trial
- Too few flushes get legislative candidate thrown off ballot
- Pete Rose appears on Phillies' wall of fame ballot
- Philly mayor: $5.7M beverage tax haul doubles projections
- Sunoco building 2 pipelines, not just 1 across Pennsylvania
- Authorities identify 2 victims of Atlantic City stabbing
- Updated Cosby is in court to ask judge for outside jury for trial
- Updated Warming trend starting this afternoon, but a few showers return tomorrow
- Updated Albert Boscov remembered during memorial service
- Updated Boscov: An American Story
- Updated Bonilla kicks off campaign for Lehigh County Commissioner
- Flemington man sentenced for child pornography
- Life Lessons: Swimming helps asthma
- Updated Strong storms, winds leave damage across the region
- Cell phone store robbed at gunpoint
- Cold and calm overnight under mainly clear skies