POTTSTOWN, Pa. - Investigators have identified a woman who was killed inside her home, and a search warrant identifies her boyfriend as a suspect.
Police found the body of Alicia Schmidt, 31, inside her home at 424 Cherry Street in Pottstown, Montgomery Co., Thursday morning.
According to a search warrant, police were dispatched to the home where Schmidt lived with her two children at 6:56 a.m. to check on Schmidt's welfare after a reported domestic incident.
Police found her body lying at the bottom of the basement stairway.
"I think it's unbelievable. I cannot believe this would even happen in our area," said Mark Plavik, who lives just up the block.
According to the warrant, police interviewed the ex-wife of Edwin Carrero, who said Carrero has been in a relationship with Schmidt, and the two have been living together.
According to the warrant, Carrero's ex-wife told police she received a phone call from Carrero at 6:35 a.m. Thursday, and he told her that he may have killed Schmidt.
According to the warrant, Carrero told his ex-wife that he choked Schmidt and pushed her down the basement steps. He also asked his ex-wife to give him a half-hour to an hour before calling police.
"It's sad," said Jasmine Brinkley, who lives on Cherry Street. "No one deserves that, nobody, especially if her kids were there. Nobody deserves to go through that."
"We're helping each other out," said Plavik. "It's just odd to hear something like this so close to home. It's frightening."
At this point, no arrests have been made.
The Pottstown Police Department and the Montgomery County Detective Bureau have initiated a joint homicide investigation.
An autopsy on Schmidt is scheduled for Friday morning.
The rain interfered with plans for some VIP guests at the Pottstown parade, but the true meaning of Memorial Day couldn't be obscured by the clouds.Read More »
- Bucks man gets life plus 15 to 30 years in friend's shooting death
- East Greenville moves forward with police department
- Pa. court tightens rules for seizing properties tied to crime
- Warrants issued for man in attack on person with cerebral palsy
- Man arrested in hit-and-run crash with school bus
- New app aims to save lives in Montgomery County
- Mourners deliver flowers in memory of Ernie the giraffe
- How you can help an Allen HS senior in the fight of his life
- Memorial Day services across Berks County
- One year later, police seek answers in Chester Co. woman's death
- Freedom High student walks 22 miles for veterans
- Coroner called to crash in Lower Towamensing Twp.
- Visitors celebrate at Dorney Park despite rainy weather
- A place of healing for veterans
- Walking a mile in their shoes
- Weather stops big guest at Pottstown Memorial Day parade