State Police say a missing college student from Montgomery Co. may have been spotted 80 miles away, in Lebanon Co., on Friday. Meantime, Matthew Royer's mother made an impassioned plea for him to contact the family.
"Matthew, if you can hear this, no matter what the circumstances are, your friends and your family, we all love you," said Janet Royer at a Monday afternoon news conference.
Royer, 21, disappeared Thursday night, driving home from the University of Rhode Island. He was driving a 2008 silver Chevy Cobalt with Pennsylvania plates GZR 9059.
We know Royer stopped for gas just outside Allentown at I-78 and Route 100, about 40 miles from his home in Collegeville. Now, state police are investigating a possible sighting of Royer and his car 12 hours later -- in Lebanon Co., even farther from his home.
Troopers spent Monday afternoon interviewing the woman who called in that tip. According to Trooper Morgan Crummy, they don't believe she knows Royer, and don't believe Royer knows anyone else in the Lebanon area.
"We are currently investigating him as a missing person," said Crummy. "At this point, while it may be a voluntary move on Matthew's part on Matthew's part, we are still expending all of our resources in this investigation to locate Matthew."
Royer's mother said she only wants him home safe.
"We're here for you. Please contact us; call home," she said. "We will come anywhere, anyplace, any time for you. We are here. We love you, and we miss you."
Crummy would not say how certain they are that the car and the person spotted in Lebanon Co. was actually Royer. They also say there's no indication that he was in any trouble before he headed home last week.
If you have any information, call the Pennsylvania State Police in Skippack at 610-584-1250.
A Bucks County man has been sentenced to life in prison without possibility of parole, plus 15 to 30 years in the shooting death of a friend.Read More »
- East Greenville moves forward with police department
- Pa. court tightens rules for seizing properties tied to crime
- Warrants issued for man in attack on person with cerebral palsy
- Man arrested in hit-and-run crash with school bus
- New app aims to save lives in Montgomery County
- 2 counselors overdose and die at Chester Co. halfway house
- Updated Lehigh Valley Zoo giraffe dies from neck injury
- Countryside is making a strong comeback
- Local man takes business idea to the beach
- Great white shark Mary Lee detected off New Jersey coast
- Catasauqua police nab armed robbery suspect
- Bucks man gets life plus 15 to 30 years in friend's shooting death
- PHOTOS: Observing Memorial Day
- In opioid crisis, a new risk for police: accidental overdose
- Monroe County farm holds annual Farm Animal Frolic
- Package that led to Newark airport evacuation deemed safe