TRAPPE, Pa. - State police say a trooper narrowly avoided being run over by a theft suspect during a pursuit in Trappe Borough, Montgomery County.
It happened Friday in the 500 block of West Main Street after state police responded to a property theft. Police said their investigation led them to 21-year-old Geoffrey Gaines, who ignored commands from police to surrender and jumped into his vehicle.
According to police, Gaines then drove his vehicle directly at at a trooper who was on foot. Police said the trooper was able to avoid being struck.
Police said Gaines continued speeding until eventually crashing at West 7th Avenue and Betcher Road. He then tried to run away, but was nabbed by troopers, according to state police.
Gaines, of Schwenksville, is facing a laundry list of charges including aggravated assault on a law enforcement officer, attempting to elude police, theft and receiving stolen property.
He is being held in the Montgomery County Correctional Facility on $75,000 bail.
Two counselors at an addiction facility in Chester County died of opioid overdoses at the group home, the district attorney announced Wednesday.Read More »
- Cosby arrives for Day 3 of jury selection
- 11 people seated on Cosby jury; defense sees race bias
- Manchester Arena managed by suburban Philadelphia firm
- Jury selection enters 2nd day in Bill Cosby sex assault case
- 5 jurors picked for Cosby trial, 2 know a sex assault victim
- 3 white men, 2 white women seated for Cosby jury
- Man suspected of robbing Forks Verizon store to stand trial
- Rain slows project, delays reopening of Route 724 in Cumru
- Updated Traffic stoppages on I-78 in Lehigh County will take place Wednesday
- Unofficial numbers in for Allentown race for mayor
- Police link man to trio of break-ins in five days
- Hawk Mountain bestows its highest honor on Jack Holcomb
- Clouds and some sun this afternoon
- 2 counselors overdose and die at Chester Co. halfway house
- Boutique at the Rink 2017 kicks off next Tuesday
- Environmental group to spend $130K in governor's race