POTTSTOWN, Pa. - Pottstown police said they found a man dead in Riverfront Park, hours after his house caught fire.
The fire was reported around 10:40 p.m. Thursday in the 200 block of Potts Drive.
Authorities said they did not find anyone in the home. Neighbors told police that a person lived in the home and worked at night. Police tried to contact him, but could not reach him.
About two hours later, an officer on routine patrol was checking the area of Riverfront Park and the parking area west of South Hanover Street, when he spotted the vehicle that belonged to the homeowner. No one, however, was inside the vehicle.
Police said they searched the area and found the man, identified as Richard Thomas. Police said his death is not a criminal matter.
The coroner's office has not yet determined the cause and manner of death.
Police are continuing to investigate his death and the fire. Anyone with information is asked to call police at 610-970-6570.
Officials said a 9-year-old boy died in a fire in Chester County Sunday morning.Read More »
- 1 person dead after early morning fire in Chester County
- Bill Cosby juror speaks: 'We had no real new evidence'
- Quakertown School Board approves 2017-18 insurance renewal; announces special meeting
- Bill Cosby spokesman says town halls are planned
- Juror says Cosby trial panel almost evenly split
- Judge approves release of Cosby juror names
- Updated 2 dead in murder-suicide after barricade had extensive criminal history
- Suspects killed in apparent murder-suicide after standoff with police identified
- Young girl dies in South Manheim Twp. ATV crash
- 9-year-old killed in early morning Chester County fire
- Dog injured in Reading house fire
- Police investigate shots fired in Easton
- Police look for missing Douglassville woman
- New mountain slide opens at Camelback
- Man killed when car hits tree in Summit Hill
- Elderly woman dies weeks after crash in Allentown