POTTSTOWN, Pa. - Pottstown police said they found a man dead in Riverfront Park, hours after his house caught fire.
The fire was reported around 10:40 p.m. Thursday in the 200 block of Potts Drive.
Authorities said they did not find anyone in the home. Neighbors told police that a person lived in the home and worked at night. Police tried to contact him, but could not reach him.
About two hours later, an officer on routine patrol was checking the area of Riverfront Park and the parking area west of South Hanover Street, when he spotted the vehicle that belonged to the homeowner. No one, however, was inside the vehicle.
Police said they searched the area and found the man, identified as Richard Thomas. Police said his death is not a criminal matter.
The coroner's office has not yet determined the cause and manner of death.
Police are continuing to investigate his death and the fire. Anyone with information is asked to call police at 610-970-6570.
As a spring storm continues to dump snow on Berks County, BARTA put the brakes on bus service in Berks County.Read More »
- US Senate confirms top prosecutor for Pa.'s Eastern District
- Traffic restrictions, road crews in place ahead of storm
- PennDOT prepares for yet another winter storm
- Too-young lieutenant governor candidate ordered off ballot
- Transit riders warned of disruptions due to storm
- Political analyst foresees hard-fought race for 6th District
- Snowfall totals so far
- Pennsylvania National Guard soldiers ready to help in storm
- YOUR PHOTOS: Fourth major winter storm in 3 weeks
- Berks County snow totals: How much have you seen?
- WATCH: 69 News Snow Patrol: Easton (6 p.m.)
- WATCH: 69 News Snow Patrol: Bucks County (6 p.m.)
- WATCH: 69 News Snow Patrol: Montgomery County (6 p.m.)
- WATCH: 69 News Snow Patrol (Lehigh County 6 p.m.)
- WATCH: Evening traffic commute
- WATCH: 69 News Snow Patrol: Berks County (5:30 p.m.)