POTTSTOWN, Pa. - Pottstown police said they found a man dead in Riverfront Park, hours after his house caught fire.
The fire was reported around 10:40 p.m. Thursday in the 200 block of Potts Drive.
Authorities said they did not find anyone in the home. Neighbors told police that a person lived in the home and worked at night. Police tried to contact him, but could not reach him.
About two hours later, an officer on routine patrol was checking the area of Riverfront Park and the parking area west of South Hanover Street, when he spotted the vehicle that belonged to the homeowner. No one, however, was inside the vehicle.
Police said they searched the area and found the man, identified as Richard Thomas. Police said his death is not a criminal matter.
The coroner's office has not yet determined the cause and manner of death.
Police are continuing to investigate his death and the fire. Anyone with information is asked to call police at 610-970-6570.
Attorney General Josh Shapiro announced the felony charges Monday, which include illegal management of hazardous waste and unlawful conduct related to the illegal storage of hazardous waste.Read More »
- Police event makes wish come true for boy battling cancer
- Smoke detectors donated in honor of boy, 9, who died in East Coventry fire
- Police need public's help to find alleged QNB bank robber
- Man hopes to continue streak of volunteering for wildfires
- Police investigating Sellersville armed robbery
- St. Nick a good pal to PAL kids
- Updated 3, including a 17-year-old boy, charged in pizza delivery shooting
- Eagles fans weigh in on Wentz's injury, Foles' return
- DA: Parkland district, officers handling alleged threats
- Community takes stand against hate speech in Monroe County
- Berks bus passenger describes NYC explosion scene as 'chaos'
- Expert sees partisanship in Pennsylvania congressional maps
- Pipe bomb detonates in New York bus terminal, commuters react
- Session instructs police officers on how to cope with stress
- Health Beat: Baby octopus saves preemies
- Positive Parenting: Routines and school readiness