POTTSTOWN, Pa. - Pottstown police said they found a man dead in Riverfront Park, hours after his house caught fire.
The fire was reported around 10:40 p.m. Thursday in the 200 block of Potts Drive.
Authorities said they did not find anyone in the home. Neighbors told police that a person lived in the home and worked at night. Police tried to contact him, but could not reach him.
About two hours later, an officer on routine patrol was checking the area of Riverfront Park and the parking area west of South Hanover Street, when he spotted the vehicle that belonged to the homeowner. No one, however, was inside the vehicle.
Police said they searched the area and found the man, identified as Richard Thomas. Police said his death is not a criminal matter.
The coroner's office has not yet determined the cause and manner of death.
Police are continuing to investigate his death and the fire. Anyone with information is asked to call police at 610-970-6570.
The saying goes, "it's never too late," and investigators are hoping that rings true in the quest for justice.Read More »
- Collegeville man charged with drug delivery and overdose of Perkiomen man
- Neighbors hold peace vigil in response to racist letters
- Investigators search for new leads in 1959 Perkasie cold case murder
- Caregiver steals $87K from elderly man
- 21-year-old Doylestown man reported missing
- Owen J. Roberts girls prevail over Spring-Ford
- Police car involved in crash in Coplay
- FBI nabs 2 women suspected of trying to rob bank dressed as nuns
- Updated Kmart closing store in Whitehall Township
- Haunted Illusions show comes to the State Theatre
- Police make another arrest in Trinitarios drug network
- Life Lessons: Living a good life
- Jealous man allegedly attacks ex-girlfriend
- Suspected burglar says he needed cash to pay pot fines
- Reading City Council wants public input on $92 million budget
- Updated About face at Albright: Cut football players can return