POTTSTOWN, Pa. - The Pottstown Memorial Medical Center in Montgomery County is helping some local students further their education.
The hospital's medical staff department is providing a scholarship of $1,000/year for four years to Jonathan Tang, a recent graduate of Perkiomen Valley High School.
Tang was valedictorian of his class, graduating with a GPA of 5.06. He will attend the University of Pennsylvania in the fall, majoring in biological basis of behavior. His goal is to become a physician scientist.
PMMC also awarded two $1,000/year for four years scholarships to Kelsey Shumaker (pictured), who will be attending Gwynedd - Mercy College, and Matthew Goodman, who will be attending Temple University.
"It is truly an honor to participate in a volunteen program involving so many talented and ambitious students," said says Sharon Steinmetz, manager of the hospital's volunteer services. "We are proud and thankful to be able to offer the scholarships. We wish the best to the recipients and all of PMMC graduating volunteens."
Pottstown Memorial Medical Center's scholarship recipients must have completed 100 or more volunteer hours at PMMC, be pursing a career within the medical field, and have a grade point average of 3.0 or higher.
Pottstown Memorial Medical Center and the Rotary of Pottstown also partnered to award two non-medical field scholarships for $500/year for four years to Shelby Young, who will be attending Shippensburg University, and Meredith McCarthy, who will be attending Alvernia University in Reading.
A Bucks County man has been sentenced to life in prison without possibility of parole, plus 15 to 30 years in the shooting death of a friend.Read More »
- East Greenville moves forward with police department
- Pa. court tightens rules for seizing properties tied to crime
- Warrants issued for man in attack on person with cerebral palsy
- Man arrested in hit-and-run crash with school bus
- New app aims to save lives in Montgomery County
- 2 counselors overdose and die at Chester Co. halfway house
- Great white shark Mary Lee detected off New Jersey coast
- Updated Bucks man gets life plus 15 to 30 years in friend's shooting death
- Updated PHOTOS: Observing Memorial Day
- In opioid crisis, a new risk for police: accidental overdose
- Monroe County farm holds annual Farm Animal Frolic
- Package that led to Newark airport evacuation deemed safe
- Fire destroys barn in Lehigh Twp.
- Artvana could take the place of former Mayfair Festival
- Coroner identifies man found dead in Schuylkill River
- Memorial honors Lehigh Valley veteran