NORRISTOWN, Pa. - A preschool teacher at a suburban Philadelphia Roman Catholic school has been charged with sexually assaulting a 3-year-old girl.
According to an affidavit, 32-year-old Michael Barbee, of Yeadon, Pennsylvania, is accused of forcibly touching the girl during nap time. Online court records don't list an attorney who could comment on the allegations.
Barbee teaches at Saint Francis of Assisi School's Early Learning Center in Norristown.
Kenneth Gavin, a spokesman for the archdiocese, says Saint Francis Parish placed Barbee on administrative leave Friday after learning of the criminal investigation.
He says the charges are "serious and disturbing."
Police say they began investigating Barbee after the child complained of pain.
Barbee faces multiple child sex assault counts.
Philadelphia Mayor Jim Kenney said the city's sweetened-beverage tax raised $5.7 million in January, more than double what city officials had projected.Read More »
- Sunoco building 2 pipelines, not just 1 across Pennsylvania
- Authorities identify 2 victims of Atlantic City stabbing
- At least 1 killed in Upper Providence crash
- New Jersey animal control officer arrested for sexual assault of minor
- Montco to conduct DUI checkpoint, roving patrols in early March
- Bucks man ID'd as victim of stabbing in Atlantic City
- Updated Restoration of Penn Street Bridge in Reading well underway
- Man accused of stabbing wife, daughter-in-law in Allentown
- Reading woman killed in crash on I-176 in Caernarvon
- Christie on the radio? He says he'll consider his options
- Allentown Health Bureau recognized for emergency preparedness
- Arts Around Town: Marionettes join Bach Choir for 'The Nightingale'
- 12 displaced in Allentown apartment fire
- Man charged in Allentown hit-and-run
- Berks commissioners talk future of tax-free municipal bonds
- Penn State Berks raises $62K for THON