POTTSTOWN, Pa. - Members of a Pottstown family are happy be alive after a fire broke out in their home. They lost just about everything and escaped with only the clothes on their back. But they are still counting their blessings.
"It looks a mess. It looks a mess," said Shirley Johnson, who woke up to the fire. "Everything I have, everything is done."
The Johnson family of 10 stands outside its Pottstown home in the 700 block of Lincoln Avenue looking at the damage that has been done just two days before Christmas.
"It just breaks my heart. Breaks my heart," said Johnson.
A fire broke out on the second floor of the home just before 10 o'clock Monday morning and it sent the family into a panic.
"I was like really screaming. I did not want anyone to get hurt," said Sierra Johnson.
Kayla Lofton, 13, escaped through a bedroom window and was saved by a neighbor who brought a ladder to the rescue.
"I just started panicking and I was crying and I just did not know what to do," said Kayla Lofton, who escaped through a second floor window.
Now the house is charred and all 10 members of the family are displaced. But the Red Cross is stepping in to make sure they do not go without shelter.
"The Red Cross provides the immediate needs for the family. So over the next three nights they will be placed in a hotel, having food and clothing," said American Red Cross Lead Responder Ed Kershner.
The Johnsons now have to leave their home just two days before Christmas and all of their presents were ruined. But they are still counting their blessings.
"I am blessed. I have my life. My granddaughter was on the roof and we got her down. My other grandkids, we are here and I cannot ask for more than that," said Johnson.
The fire department is still investigating the cause of the blaze but they are estimating damage to be at least $50,000.
Authorities have released the names of the victims in a double stabbing in Atlantic City that left a city woman dead and a Pennsylvania man injured.Read More »
- At least 1 killed in Upper Providence crash
- New Jersey animal control officer arrested for sexual assault of minor
- Montco to conduct DUI checkpoint, roving patrols in early March
- Bucks man ID'd as victim of stabbing in Atlantic City
- Woman visiting husband's grave dies after cemetery crash
- Local roller derby team changing the rules
- Jacob Sullivan, man accused of murdering Grace Packer, waives preliminary hearing
- Man stabs wife, daughter-in-law in car in Allentown
- Immigration officials detain alleged undocumented immigrants in Poconos
- Quakertown man sentenced for defrauding fraternities, sororities at Lehigh University
- Meet two ambassadors who are truly amazing
- Rep. Leonard Lance Town Hall gets loud
- U.S. News & World Report rank Allentown in top 100 best places to live
- Supporters, protesters line up hours ahead of N.J. congressman's town hall
- Phillipsburg town officials need to make a decision ASAP when it comes to mold
- One Tank Trip: Bloom Bloom exhibit at Kutztown University