NEW HANOVER TWP., Pa. - Two attempted child lurings two days apart has a community in the Boyertown Area School District on edge.
Karen Frankland met her 14-year-old daughter, Shannon, at the bus stop Monday afternoon after learning the latest child luring attempt happened feet from her home on Donald Drive, near Buchert Road, in New Hanover Twp., Montgomery Co.
"I hope that this will be the end of it, but it's just really scary," said Frankland.
According to police, three young girls were approached just after 9 p.m. Friday. Someone in a truck pulled up and stated, "Don't move, don't even run away. Get in the car," over a public address system, possibly built into the vehicle.
"I think it's crazy. I never expected it to happen on this street. I thought I was on a safe place, but apparently I was wrong," said Shannon, after she got off the school bus.
The three girls managed to run away. Now, police are trying to determine who was in that vehicle, which was described as an older rusty, gray or white pickup truck with tinted windows, a cap on the back and a blue light on the roof.
"My wife talks on the computer and everything to everybody, and they're saying they're worried about their kids and stuff," said Dave Ciarlo, a parent aware of the attempted lurings.
Two days before that, two men tried to lure a 13-year-old girl into their Dodge minivan at a Wawa off Swamp Pike, said police.
Now, some parents said their children are scared to walk alone outside.
"We always talk to our kids that don't go near any strange vehicles, and if you see one run if they try and approach you," said one parent.
Police are in the early stages of their investigation, and they're trying to determine if the latest incident was possibly a prank. They have not ruled out it was a legitimate incident.
Anyone with information is asked to call New Hanover Police Department at 610-327-1150.
Philadelphia Mayor Jim Kenney said the city's sweetened-beverage tax raised $5.7 million in January, more than double what city officials had projected.Read More »
- Sunoco building 2 pipelines, not just 1 across Pennsylvania
- Authorities identify 2 victims of Atlantic City stabbing
- At least 1 killed in Upper Providence crash
- New Jersey animal control officer arrested for sexual assault of minor
- Montco to conduct DUI checkpoint, roving patrols in early March
- Bucks man ID'd as victim of stabbing in Atlantic City
- Updated Near-record warmth again on Friday
- Updated Restoration of Penn Street Bridge in Reading well underway
- Man accused of stabbing wife, daughter-in-law in Allentown
- Reading woman killed in crash on I-176 in Caernarvon
- Christie on the radio? He says he'll consider his options
- Allentown Health Bureau recognized for emergency preparedness
- Arts Around Town: Marionettes join Bach Choir for 'The Nightingale'
- 12 displaced in Allentown apartment fire
- Man charged in Allentown hit-and-run
- Berks commissioners talk future of tax-free municipal bonds