NEW HANOVER TWP., Pa. - Two attempted child lurings two days apart has a community in the Boyertown Area School District on edge.
Karen Frankland met her 14-year-old daughter, Shannon, at the bus stop Monday afternoon after learning the latest child luring attempt happened feet from her home on Donald Drive, near Buchert Road, in New Hanover Twp., Montgomery Co.
"I hope that this will be the end of it, but it's just really scary," said Frankland.
According to police, three young girls were approached just after 9 p.m. Friday. Someone in a truck pulled up and stated, "Don't move, don't even run away. Get in the car," over a public address system, possibly built into the vehicle.
"I think it's crazy. I never expected it to happen on this street. I thought I was on a safe place, but apparently I was wrong," said Shannon, after she got off the school bus.
The three girls managed to run away. Now, police are trying to determine who was in that vehicle, which was described as an older rusty, gray or white pickup truck with tinted windows, a cap on the back and a blue light on the roof.
"My wife talks on the computer and everything to everybody, and they're saying they're worried about their kids and stuff," said Dave Ciarlo, a parent aware of the attempted lurings.
Two days before that, two men tried to lure a 13-year-old girl into their Dodge minivan at a Wawa off Swamp Pike, said police.
Now, some parents said their children are scared to walk alone outside.
"We always talk to our kids that don't go near any strange vehicles, and if you see one run if they try and approach you," said one parent.
Police are in the early stages of their investigation, and they're trying to determine if the latest incident was possibly a prank. They have not ruled out it was a legitimate incident.
Anyone with information is asked to call New Hanover Police Department at 610-327-1150.
The search for 12 jurors and six alternates for Bill Cosby's sexual assault trial is off to a brisk start even though a third of the initial jury pool had an opinion about Cosby's guilt or innocence and an equal number said they or someone close...Read More »
- 3 white men, 2 white women seated for Cosby jury
- 2 white men, white woman selected for Cosby jury
- DA: Man mocks, assaults person with cerebral palsy
- Montgomery County launches app to help those in need of CPR
- Many in Cosby jury pool have opinion about guilt
- Small plane crashes in Pennsylvania field, pilot not hurt
- Police searching for 2 men after 2 armed robberies in Reading hours apart
- Palmer police looking for 2 men accused of stealing $300 worth of razors from Giant
- Northampton teen leads police on 30-minute chase
- Pershing Square reduces holding in Air Products
- Updated Kelly Services to hold job fair in Allentown, looking to fill 300+ warehouse positions at XPO
- Updated A first hand look at the training firefighters go through
- Life Lessons: Breakfast at this office?
- 5 jurors picked for Cosby trial, 2 know a sex assault victim
- Clouds and some sun today; rain stays south and east today and tomorrow
- Schuylkill Valley HS breaks ground on athletic complex