WEST CHESTER, Pa. - Another candidate is entering the race for the seat that will be vacated by U.S. Rep. Jim Gerlach next year.
Republican Ryan Costello, chairman of the Chester County Board of Commissioners, said Wednesday that he wants to represent the 6th District.
"As a county commissioner, I meet and talk with local residents on a daily basis on a range of issues, and people are frustrated by the legislative gridlock in Congress and the slow economic turnaround," said Costello. "The nation and many elected officials have become so divided and polarized that it is impacting the future direction of the country.
Costello said he is proud to have the support and backing of Val DiGiorgio, chairman of the Republican Committee of Chester County.
"Ryan has distinguished himself as a smart and thoughtful leader and dedicated public servant," said DiGiorgio, in a statement released by Costello's campaign. "His fresh and no-nonsense approach to problem-solving and his record of working for taxpayers as a township supervisor and now as chairman of the board of county commissioners make him the clear choice to represent us in Congress."
Costello, his wife and their newborn son live in West Chester.
Gerlach said last week that he won't seek election for a seventh term in Congress.
Mike Parrish announced his plan to seek the Democratic nomination Tuesday.
Manan Trivedi, a physician who ran for the seat twice before, and Pa. Rep. Mark Rozzi, are both considering a run.
The 6th District is made up of parts of Berks, Chester, Lebanon and Montgomery counties.
Authorities have released the names of the victims in a double stabbing in Atlantic City that left a city woman dead and a Pennsylvania man injured.Read More »
- At least 1 killed in Upper Providence crash
- New Jersey animal control officer arrested for sexual assault of minor
- Montco to conduct DUI checkpoint, roving patrols in early March
- Bucks man ID'd as victim of stabbing in Atlantic City
- Woman visiting husband's grave dies after cemetery crash
- Local roller derby team changing the rules
- Jacob Sullivan, man accused of murdering Grace Packer, waives preliminary hearing
- Man stabs wife, daughter-in-law in car in Allentown
- Immigration officials detain alleged undocumented immigrants in Poconos
- Quakertown man sentenced for defrauding fraternities, sororities at Lehigh University
- Meet two ambassadors who are truly amazing
- Rep. Leonard Lance Town Hall gets loud
- U.S. News & World Report rank Allentown in top 100 best places to live
- Supporters, protesters line up hours ahead of N.J. congressman's town hall
- Phillipsburg town officials need to make a decision ASAP when it comes to mold
- One Tank Trip: Bloom Bloom exhibit at Kutztown University