PHILADELPHIA - An MRI on Monday revealed a torn meniscus in Ryan Howard's left knee. The surgery and recovery means the slugger will miss 6-8 weeks.
Howard was placed on the disabled list over the weekend, a move which prompted the recall of Darin Ruf from Lehigh Valley.
The Big Piece was hitting .266 with 11 home runs and 43 RBIs this season.
It's the second time in less than two years that Howard will require surgery on his left knee.
Phillies general manager Ruben Amaro Jr. compared Howard's injury to that of Erik Kratz's, who began a rehab assignment with triple-A Lehigh Valley on Monday. Kratz underwent surgery June 12 and could return by this weekend. He is well ahead of schedule.
Pete Rose is on the ballot for the Philadelphia Phillies' wall of fame, his first association with the team since he was banned from baseball in 1989.Read More »
- Philly mayor: $5.7M beverage tax haul doubles projections
- Sunoco building 2 pipelines, not just 1 across Pennsylvania
- Authorities identify 2 victims of Atlantic City stabbing
- At least 1 killed in Upper Providence crash
- New Jersey animal control officer arrested for sexual assault of minor
- Montco to conduct DUI checkpoint, roving patrols in early March
- New Coroner called to shooting in Palmer Township
- Conspiracy charge added against Penn State ex-administrators
- Candidate for Allentown mayor advised not to run
- Restoration of Penn Street Bridge in Reading well underway
- DOE rolls back transgender bathroom protections
- Easton 20-year plan envisioned
- Taxpayers' cost for Chris Christie security detail tops $2M
- Dunkin' Donuts helping to 'roast' hunger in Berks
- Building community by building birdhouses
- Transgender bathroom issue hits home in Berks