PHILADELPHIA - An MRI on Monday revealed a torn meniscus in Ryan Howard's left knee. The surgery and recovery means the slugger will miss 6-8 weeks.
Howard was placed on the disabled list over the weekend, a move which prompted the recall of Darin Ruf from Lehigh Valley.
The Big Piece was hitting .266 with 11 home runs and 43 RBIs this season.
It's the second time in less than two years that Howard will require surgery on his left knee.
Phillies general manager Ruben Amaro Jr. compared Howard's injury to that of Erik Kratz's, who began a rehab assignment with triple-A Lehigh Valley on Monday. Kratz underwent surgery June 12 and could return by this weekend. He is well ahead of schedule.
Now has interim police chief and a cruiser.Read More »
- Pa. court tightens rules for seizing properties tied to crime
- Warrants issued for man in attack on person with cerebral palsy
- Man arrested in hit-and-run crash with school bus
- New app aims to save lives in Montgomery County
- 2 counselors overdose and die at Chester Co. halfway house
- Jury of 12 on Bill Cosby sex assault case includes 2 blacks
- Updated Man's 'suspicious' death in Frackville ruled a homicide
- Passing shower this afternoon, mainly dry next two days
- Updated Holiday travelers will encounter rising prices at the pump
- Summer recipes on the grill
- World War II veteran discusses issues faced by those returning from war
- 75-year-old man dies days after crash on Route 22
- Summer getaways in the Lehigh Valley
- Famed Berks wrestling coach gone, but not forgotten
- Local police step up patrols for Memorial Day weekend
- History's Headlines: Baseball at Bethlehem Steel