DARBY, Pa. - A doctor wounded by a patient in a deadly shooting at a hospital campus in Delaware County appears to have been the person who returned fire and wounded the suspect, authorities said.
The gunfire was reported around 2:30 p.m. Thursday on the top floor of Mercy Fitzgerald Hospital's wellness center, across from the hospital, at 1503 Lansdowne Ave. in Darby.
District Attorney Jack Whelan said investigators believe the doctor had his own gun and acted in self-defense.
Whelan said Richard Plotts, a patient with psychiatric problems, opened fire after entering the doctor's office with a caseworker Thursday afternoon.
The caseworker, Theresa Hunt, 53, of Philadelphia, was killed.
The doctor, Dr. Lee Silverman, appears to have suffered only a graze wound. Both he and the suspect were transported to a hospital in nearby Philadelphia.
Authorities have not publicly identified the two victims.
The 213-bed teaching hospital is part of the Mercy Health System, a large Catholic health care network serving the Delaware Valley.
The Sister Marie Lenahan Wellness Center is home to a wide range of outpatient services and physician offices.
Pete Rose is on the ballot for the Philadelphia Phillies' wall of fame, his first association with the team since he was banned from baseball in 1989.Read More »
- Philly mayor: $5.7M beverage tax haul doubles projections
- Sunoco building 2 pipelines, not just 1 across Pennsylvania
- Authorities identify 2 victims of Atlantic City stabbing
- At least 1 killed in Upper Providence crash
- New Jersey animal control officer arrested for sexual assault of minor
- Montco to conduct DUI checkpoint, roving patrols in early March
- Conspiracy charge added against Penn State ex-administrators
- Candidate for Allentown mayor advised not to run
- Restoration of Penn Street Bridge in Reading well underway
- DOE rolls back transgender bathroom protections
- Easton 20-year plan envisioned
- Taxpayers' cost for Chris Christie security detail tops $2M
- Dunkin' Donuts helping to 'roast' hunger in Berks
- Building community by building birdhouses
- Transgender bathroom issue hits home in Berks
- Health Beat: Fixing frozen shoulder syndrome