LIMERICK TWP., Pa. - Two weeks since the suicide of an alleged cyber-bullying victim at Spring-Ford High School, the Montgomery County district attorney's office said the investigation is ongoing.
"This has definitely been a difficult past few weeks," said Pastor Melissa Flora of Christ's Church of the Valley. "She was involved for 3 years in the student ministry and she served every Sunday,".
Those who knew the girl are still shocked.
"We just want every student who is wrestling with trying to understand that because of what has happened, that there is a place where people are listening and who will come right along side of you," said Florda.
Spring-Ford Area School District Superintendent David Goodin said in a statement: "This loss has been felt throughout the entire Spring-Ford community, and we ask that you continue to support all of our students and families as we continue cope with this tragedy."
Officials with the Office of Mental Health and Developmental Disabilities in Berks County say as opportunities for cyber bullying continue to grow.
"In the old days you had bullies in schools, at least when you came home you were away from it," said Edward Michalik, an administrator with Mental Health and Developmental Disabilities. "I think it is an issue in Berks County and I think most schools are striving to address it,".
For teens who feel lost, calling and asking for help can feel overwhelming. Berks County's texting program, ruOK, has taken off. With just the hit of a button, someone will answer with support and resources.
"You can text as much as you want as often as you want," Michalik said.
Already hundreds have signed up for the program that started in Berks last fall..
"School districts have really embraced it and been a strong partner in what we're doing,".
It was a packed house at a special council meeting in East Greenville Friday night. The meeting was called to vote on a motion to prepare and advertise an ordinance to disband the East Greenville Police Department.Read More »
- Restaurant employee helps save customer's life
- $2.4 million invested into airport upgrades
- Dick's to expand hours, offer championship gear if Eagles win
- Bucks woman gets prison for DUI crash that killed Allentown man
- Nockamixon provides permits to collect firewood
- 11-year US marshal identified as officer slain in Harrisburg
- Man killed in fatal fire in Bethlehem Twp. ID'd
- Coroner ID's man killed in Allentown crash
- Dorney Park makes Eagles bet with Minnesota's Valleyfair Park
- History's Headlines: Man of Steel
- Firefighters battle fatal fire in Bethlehem Twp.
- Exeter Township police unveil new traffic enforcement unit
- Football excitement reaches fever pitch in Berks County
- Federal prosecutor previews trial of Mayor Ed Pawlowski
- Diehard Eagles fan's friends were on target with this surprise
- East Greenville tables discussion of disbanding police department