LIMERICK TWP., Pa. - Two weeks since the suicide of an alleged cyber-bullying victim at Spring-Ford High School, the Montgomery County district attorney's office said the investigation is ongoing.
"This has definitely been a difficult past few weeks," said Pastor Melissa Flora of Christ's Church of the Valley. "She was involved for 3 years in the student ministry and she served every Sunday,".
Those who knew the girl are still shocked.
"We just want every student who is wrestling with trying to understand that because of what has happened, that there is a place where people are listening and who will come right along side of you," said Florda.
Spring-Ford Area School District Superintendent David Goodin said in a statement: "This loss has been felt throughout the entire Spring-Ford community, and we ask that you continue to support all of our students and families as we continue cope with this tragedy."
Officials with the Office of Mental Health and Developmental Disabilities in Berks County say as opportunities for cyber bullying continue to grow.
"In the old days you had bullies in schools, at least when you came home you were away from it," said Edward Michalik, an administrator with Mental Health and Developmental Disabilities. "I think it is an issue in Berks County and I think most schools are striving to address it,".
For teens who feel lost, calling and asking for help can feel overwhelming. Berks County's texting program, ruOK, has taken off. With just the hit of a button, someone will answer with support and resources.
"You can text as much as you want as often as you want," Michalik said.
Already hundreds have signed up for the program that started in Berks last fall..
"School districts have really embraced it and been a strong partner in what we're doing,".
The search for 12 jurors and six alternates for Bill Cosby's sexual assault trial is off to a brisk start even though a third of the initial jury pool had an opinion about Cosby's guilt or innocence and an equal number said they or someone close...Read More »
- 3 white men, 2 white women seated for Cosby jury
- 2 white men, white woman selected for Cosby jury
- DA: Man mocks, assaults person with cerebral palsy
- Montgomery County launches app to help those in need of CPR
- Many in Cosby jury pool have opinion about guilt
- Small plane crashes in Pennsylvania field, pilot not hurt
- Updated Police searching for 2 men after 2 armed robberies in Reading hours apart
- Palmer police looking for 2 men accused of stealing $300 worth of razors from Giant
- Northampton teen leads police on 30-minute chase
- Pershing Square reduces holding in Air Products
- Updated Kelly Services to hold job fair in Allentown, looking to fill 300+ warehouse positions at XPO
- Updated A first hand look at the training firefighters go through
- Life Lessons: Breakfast at this office?
- 5 jurors picked for Cosby trial, 2 know a sex assault victim
- Clouds and some sun today; rain stays south and east today and tomorrow
- Schuylkill Valley HS breaks ground on athletic complex