LANSDALE, Pa. - A teenager is behind bars after police say he tried to kidnap and rape a young mother after spending the day in the park with her children.
It happened around 4:45 p.m. Monday in Stoney Creek Park in the borough of Lansdale, Montgomery County.
Police say the 25 year old mother of three had just finished playing with her three children at the park and was putting them in her car when she was approached by the suspect.
"She was approached in the park from behind by a male in dark clothing wearing a ski mask who tried to put a knife to her side and drag her into the tree line," said Sgt. Mike Trail with Lansdale Police.
Police say the suspect told the victim he wanted to have sex with her.
Then there was a brief struggle and the victim was able to free herself from his grip, run back to her car and call police.
Police found the suspect, 16 year old Herson Guardado within minutes walking along the train tracks just a block away from the park.
Investigators say Guardado told them he is homeless and a citizen of El Salvador; they are now working with the department of homeland security to determine his legal status.
As for the victim Sgt. Trail says "She did a good job, she kept her head. She was able to provide detailed information that was immediately put to the officers. That helped in bringing this to a really quick resolution and taking a very dangerous person off the street."
Guardado now faces close to a dozen charges, including attempted rape, simple assault as well as possession of marijuana and drug paraphernalia.
He is being held at the Montgomery County Correctional facility under a $100,000 bail, his court date has been set for January 27th.
Philadelphia police were continuing to investigate after raiding a pot-smoking party at a city warehouse, arresting 22 people and seizing 50 pounds of marijuana.Read More »
- Man working on NFL draft stage injured after fall
- Police search for suspect in Chester County bank robbery
- FBI nabs suspected 'Straw Hat Bandit,' serial bank robber
- Pottstown man found dead in park hours after house fire
- Body found near Schuylkill River in Pottstown's Riverfront Park
- Fire tears through Pottstown home
- Former congressional aide must register as sex offender
- Dorney sworn in as new Allentown police chief
- Judge refuses competency hearing for police ambush killer
- Small earthquake rattles parts of Pennsylvania
- Updated State police: 1 killed in crash with State Police vehicle
- Updated Tickets on sale for 4th of July fireworks show at Coca-Cola Park
- Northampton man accused of choking girlfriend unconscious
- Mango tells Republicans he'll seek gubernatorial nomination
- Police arrest third man allegedly tied to drug deal assault
- Mostly cloudy with a bit of rain this afternoon; rain continues through early Wednesday