HARRISBURG, Pa. - A Pennsylvania Turnpike worker was killed Sunday in an accident involving a tractor-trailer on the highway.
Officials say the truck entered a lane closed for maintenance and hit two workers.
It happened on the westbound side around 8 a.m. between the King of Prussia and Downington exits in Chester County.
Police say 61-year-old William McGuigan of Ardsley, Montgomery County, was killed in the accident.
He worked as an equipment operator for the turnpike commission for about nine years.
Maintenance foreman Steve Rudzik sustained minor injuries and was treated and released from Paoli Hospital. The truck driver was taken to a hospital. There was no immediate word on his condition.
The road was closed for several hours while police investigated the crash.
Gov. Tom Corbett said in a statement he was saddened by the news and extended sympathy to the McGuigan family.
Turnpike commission CEO Mark Compton said in a statement that state police are investigating the accident.
The mayor of Philadelphia said the city should discuss the future of a statue of one of his predecessors after reports of possible vandalism and a call for its removal from a city councilwoman.Read More »
- Former Montgomery Co. middle school teacher scentenced in sexual assault case
- 2nd defense attorney wants off Bill Cosby's sex assault case
- Lawsuit claims rodent was baked into Chick-fil-A sandwich
- Richland supervisors hear developer on Trainer's Corner buildout
- Pills to be distributed to those near Limerick nuclear plant
- Montgomery County teacher charged with sex assault
- Allentown City Council to hire attorney to investigate Mayor Pawlowski
- Police: Man stabbed inside car in Reading during road rage incident
- Petition urges Lehigh University to rescind Trump's honorary degree
- Berks man charged in crash that killed 2 on Route 30
- Nephew of boxing legend arrested, charged with homicide
- PHOTOS: Racing at the Kutztown Fair
- PHOTOS: Howie Day at the Downtown Alive concert series
- Game of Thrones causing issues for dog shelters
- Helicopter visits the Crayola Experience
- Animal shelters waiving adoption fees this weekend