As of Tuesday, two Democratic candidates have filed their intent to run against incumbent Republican Mike Fitzpatrick in this year's congressional elections.
Fitzpatrick has held Pennsylvania's 8th Congressional District since 2011, having also previously held the office from 2005 to 2007.
He describes himself as "one of the most independent members of Congress," according to his official campaign website.
The representative does not support raising taxes on any bracket in order to balance the budget, but has also voted against military spending. He also voted to repeal the Affordable Care Act.
Democratic challenger Shaughnessy Naughton is a former publishing company owner and chemist and was born and raised in Bucks County.
Her campaign calls for the expansion of tax credits for small businesses and the continued implementation and improvement of the ACA.
Naughton is also a supporter of women's reproductive rights and gay marriage.
Also opposing Fitzpatrick is military war veteran Kevin Strousse.
Following his tenure overseas, he proceeded to work for the Central Intelligence Agency before settling into Bucks County's Bensalem.
Like Naughton, Strousse believes that protecting Medicare and Social Security is essential.
He is a strong supporter of anti-terrorism efforts inland and beyond.
He also shares in Naughton's support of women's health rights and small business incentives.
The 8th District is composed of all of Bucks County and part of Montgomery County.
Pennsylvania primary elections will be held May 20.
- Woman assaulted, robbed and bound in closet for 4 days
- Support hotline created in Bucks County for first responders
- Bill Cosby case to stay in Montco, be decided by outside jury
- Trial date changed for woman accused of shooting, killing ex-husband
- Judge rules Bill Cosby case to be decided by outside jury
- Judge: Only one Cosby accuser can testify at sex assault trial
- Allentown hit-and-run victim dies week after incident
- Updated Nearly record warmth this afternoon and tomorrow with a few showers
- It's Fastnacht Day in Pennsylvania
- Updated Road blocks: Stopping drug trafficking in Reading
- Updated UGI customers to see slight increase in gas bill
- Updated Police arrest Hunterdon man on assault charges
- Allentown police arrest unwelcome guest outside apartment building
- Man allegedly tries to head-butt arresting officers, damages patrol car
- Man tells police he stole mom's money as she slept
- Allentown man charged in connection with robbery and shooting