As of Tuesday, two Democratic candidates have filed their intent to run against incumbent Republican Mike Fitzpatrick in this year's congressional elections.
Fitzpatrick has held Pennsylvania's 8th Congressional District since 2011, having also previously held the office from 2005 to 2007.
He describes himself as "one of the most independent members of Congress," according to his official campaign website.
The representative does not support raising taxes on any bracket in order to balance the budget, but has also voted against military spending. He also voted to repeal the Affordable Care Act.
Democratic challenger Shaughnessy Naughton is a former publishing company owner and chemist and was born and raised in Bucks County.
Her campaign calls for the expansion of tax credits for small businesses and the continued implementation and improvement of the ACA.
Naughton is also a supporter of women's reproductive rights and gay marriage.
Also opposing Fitzpatrick is military war veteran Kevin Strousse.
Following his tenure overseas, he proceeded to work for the Central Intelligence Agency before settling into Bucks County's Bensalem.
Like Naughton, Strousse believes that protecting Medicare and Social Security is essential.
He is a strong supporter of anti-terrorism efforts inland and beyond.
He also shares in Naughton's support of women's health rights and small business incentives.
The 8th District is composed of all of Bucks County and part of Montgomery County.
Pennsylvania primary elections will be held May 20.
Pennsylvania's highest court is limiting the power of prosecutors to seize people's property through civil actions.Read More »
- Warrants issued for man in attack on person with cerebral palsy
- Man arrested in hit-and-run crash with school bus
- New app aims to save lives in Montgomery County
- 2 counselors overdose and die at Chester Co. halfway house
- Jury of 12 on Bill Cosby sex assault case includes 2 blacks
- Cosby arrives for Day 3 of jury selection
- 15 years has gone by fast for Freddy Awards
- Updated Frackville police investigating man's 'suspicious' death
- Updated Boyertown looks to enhance privacy in restrooms, locker rooms
- New Jose Rosado and the Allentown School District at odds over book
- New VFW Awareness Day at Catasauqua school
- New Pennsylvania mushroom farms face labor shortage
- Updated UGI Energy Services presents scholarship to Berks foundation
- UGI Defends Proposed Bethlehem Gas Storage Tank Proposal
- Veterans highlight issues faced by those returning from war
- Pa. court tightens rules for seizing properties tied to crime