Southeastern PA

Upper Perkiomen High students safely evacuated

Fire started in overheated motor in shop

RED HILL, Pa. - Students safely were evacuated when a fire broke out Monday afternoon inside Upper Perkiomen High School in Montgomery County.

At about 1:45 p.m., an electric motor overheated in the high school's shop area, setting off smoke detectors and fire alarms.

Heavy smoke was reported inside the school.

Students were evaluated to the school's stadium, then dismissed for the day.

School officials said school buses were running about 45 minutes late.

The high school is at Walt Road and Montgomery Avenue in Red Hill. 

Firefighters from numerous departments responded to what was reported as a two-alarm fire.

The school  was declared safe and has reopened, but all Monday after-school activities were canceled.

High school students should report to school at regular time Tuesday morning.

 


DISCLAIMER FOR COMMENTS: The views expressed by public comments are not those of this company or its affiliated companies. Please note by clicking on "Post" you acknowledge that you have read the TERMS OF USE  and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Your comments may be used on air. Be polite. Inappropriate posts or posts containing offsite links may be removed by the moderator.

Allentown, PA 18102

40°F

Clear

TONIGHT

33°F

  • %

This Week's Circulars

Top Stories

Latest from the newsroom

More from the Newsroom