Strong winds swept around a basketball court in North Coventry Township in Chester County as family and friends gathered to mourn and remember.
"I just wanted to do it for Davey Mike, just have everyone that loved him come out and say a little something to remember him," explained his stepmother, Tifanny Poznanski, as she placed pictures around the basketball court where her stepson often played.
David Doyle III, 17, was shot and killed this past Sunday when three armed robbers burst into his family's apartment in the 700 block of Worth Boulevard.
"David, in my books, is my hero," his father David Doyle Jr. said. "He's everybody's hero. He protected us all. He sacrificed his life."
The basketball courts served as his second home and many say his spirit is still here.
"I just feel him here," Poznanski said. "I can just picture him just shooting hoops. He was friendly with everybody."
"He reminded me of loyalty," explained his friend Joseph Marlatt. "Something we don't have much of these days."
As winds whipped flames on candles and stories were exchanged, David's father says he feels there's something stronger taking place.
"Just to be able to hear their different, good memories and stuff, it brings my son's spirit back to life," he said.
Friends and family believe they're christening this corner of the court as a spot that they can always return to and remember.
An alleged drug trafficking organization that operated in multiple states has been put out of business, law enforcement authorities announced Wednesday.Read More »
- Philadelphia sues opioid makers in response to epidemic
- 5 injured in head-on crash in Limerick
- GOP field grows to 4 to run for Pa. lieutenant governor
- Crews rescue person from Bucks County crash
- Police: Whitehall man arrested for punching Philly police horse
- Fisherman rescued after falling through ice in Honey Brook
- Updated Whiteout on I-78: Truck barrels through stopped traffic
- Former Parkland HS teacher sentenced for sexual relationship with student
- YOUR PHOTOS: Snow falls across the region
- Updated Mixed reactions come after Da Vinci decides to nix aquarium
- Updated Allentown neighbors pay it forward with a shovel
- Updated Health Beat: Lung, liver transplant gives man new life
- Updated Hunterdon County doctor surrenders privilege to prescribe substances
- Post-hurricane shortage of IV bags hurting Berks ambulances
- Man robs 3 after jumping into woman's car at gas station
- Man sought in robbery of V&S Sandwich Shop in Reading