WARMINSTER TWP., Pa. - An 89-year-old woman was killed when she was caught in the crossfire during a standoff at an apartment complex in Bucks County, authorities said.
Officers first responded to a domestic disturbance at the Jefferson on the Creek complex at 675 E. Street Rd. in Warminster around 4 p.m. Tuesday, said officials, who noted that the involved residents were referred to a domestic violence case worker.
Officers were summoned back to the complex shortly after 7 p.m. for a report of shots fired. They said a man inside the apartment then fired multiple shots at police and barricaded himself inside.
The elderly woman who lived in the apartment below Cairns was apparently caught in the crossfire, but it wasn't clear who shot her, police said. The victim's name has not yet been released.
The suspect, identified as Andrew Cairns, 49, surrendered around 2:30 a.m. Wednesday, after about a six-hour standoff, authorities said. He was charged with aggravated assault, police said.
Dozens of people in apartments nearby were evacuated during the incident. The American Red Cross set up a shelter at a nearby high school.
Now has interim police chief and a cruiser.Read More »
- Pa. court tightens rules for seizing properties tied to crime
- Warrants issued for man in attack on person with cerebral palsy
- Man arrested in hit-and-run crash with school bus
- New app aims to save lives in Montgomery County
- 2 counselors overdose and die at Chester Co. halfway house
- Jury of 12 on Bill Cosby sex assault case includes 2 blacks
- 75-year-old man dies days after crash on Route 22
- Updated World War II veteran discusses issues faced by those returning from war
- Dry early, round of showers later today
- Summer getaways in the Lehigh Valley
- Famed Berks wrestling coach gone, but not forgotten
- Local police step up patrols for Memorial Day weekend
- History's Headlines: Baseball at Bethlehem Steel
- Boyertown State Theatre goes digital
- Police: Teen shot in Pottstown
- Pennsylvania Shakespeare Festival right around the corner