LOWER POTTSGROVE TWP., Pa. - New details have emerged in the hit-and-run crash that claimed the life of a 78-year old woman.
"I saw the lady lying on the road and then I grabbed my phone and I ran to it," said witness Sukhjinder Singh.
Witnesses near the intersection of North Charlotte and Mervine streets in Lower Pottsgrove Twp., Montgomery Co., said they saw a horrific scene Monday morning.
"We were stopping all these cars, saying do not come that way. Then we shook the lady and she was dead on the spot," said Singh.
Singh said Shirley Wilhelm, 78, would often walk to his Sunoco gas station to buy lottery tickets.
"Every morning she would walk about five or six miles. Every day," said Wilhelm's neighbor, Douglas Diener.
Neighbors said the intersection is very dangerous and accidents happen there all the time.
"I see it all the time. I lived in this area. We see a lot of cars that do not stop on red at this light, but it happens. It happens everywhere. It is a shame, really horrible," said Carina Hatfield, who works near the intersection.
Video surveillance from the Sunoco indicates it may have been a school bus that hit Wilhelm. According to 69 News' partner station WPVI, the driver of that school bus has contacted authorities and is cooperating.
"I hope they find out who it is because they should have stopped," said David Pursel, who lives near the intersection.
Wilhelm was a member of St. Paul's United Church of Christ. Friends said she was active in the community and in food drives and she will be missed by everyone.
"The whole neighborhood, because everyone in this neighborhood loved her. It is a big loss," said Wilhelm's neighbor, Adamino Ortiz.
A judge will let only one other accuser testify at Bill Cosby's sexual assault trial to support charges the comedian drugged and molested a woman at his estate near Philadelphia.Read More »
- Pete Rose appears on Phillies' wall of fame ballot
- Philly mayor: $5.7M beverage tax haul doubles projections
- Sunoco building 2 pipelines, not just 1 across Pennsylvania
- Authorities identify 2 victims of Atlantic City stabbing
- At least 1 killed in Upper Providence crash
- New Jersey animal control officer arrested for sexual assault of minor
- Updated Palmer Twp. shooting suspect charged with criminal homicide
- FBI subpoenas Reading for documents from previous administration
- Missing 6-year-old Connecticut girl found in Pennsylvania
- Judge: Only 1 Cosby accuser can testify at sex assault trial
- Near record warmth again today
- Updated Giant launches 'Bag Hunger' campaign with one-day give
- Jackpot-winning Cash 5 lottery ticket sold in Berks
- 'Berks County Time Train' to air 200th episode
- Updated Police nab pair advertising pot sales online
- State police reveal cost of local police coverage: $600M