LIMERICK TWP., Pa. - Operators at Exelon Nuclear's Limerick Generating Station in Montgomery Co. have removed the plants 'Unit 2' from service Friday for a scheduled maintenance outage.
While the unit is down, workers will replace steam relief valves. Experts say the two valves being worked on are essential components of the plant's steam piping system.
Workers will test the new parts before returning the unit to service on Saturday.
"Careful and continuous monitoring of plant equipment is essential to reliable operations at Limerick Generating Station," said Russ Kearney, Limerick site vice president. "This maintenance outage will ensure that we can operate safely and reliably during the peak summer season ahead. Our highly trained team is well prepared to perform the scheduled maintenance and return Unit 2 to service for our customers."
Limerick's other generator, 'Unit 1', will continue to operate during the outage.
Limerick Generating Station produces enough electricity for 2 million homes in the southeastern Pa. area.
The rain interfered with plans for some VIP guests at the Pottstown parade, but the true meaning of Memorial Day couldn't be obscured by the clouds.Read More »
- Bucks man gets life plus 15 to 30 years in friend's shooting death
- East Greenville moves forward with police department
- Pa. court tightens rules for seizing properties tied to crime
- Warrants issued for man in attack on person with cerebral palsy
- Man arrested in hit-and-run crash with school bus
- New app aims to save lives in Montgomery County
- One year later, police seek answers in Chester Co. woman's death
- A shower/strong thunderstorm this afternoon
- Updated Police searching for man accused of robbing Allentown shop with knife
- Updated Life Lessons: Closing the word gap for toddlers
- How you can help an Allen HS senior in the fight of his life
- Mourners deliver flowers in memory of Ernie the giraffe
- Freedom High student walks 22 miles for veterans
- Coroner called to crash in Lower Towamensing Twp.
- Visitors celebrate at Dorney Park despite rainy weather
- A place of healing for veterans