Michael Young hit the winning single with one out in the ninth inning after Carlos Ruiz tied the game with a double, pushing the Philadelphia Phillies past the Colorado Rockies 4-3 on Wednesday night.
Erik Kratz opened the ninth with a double off Rockies closer Rafael Betancourt (2-4). Pinch runner Casper Wells advanced to third on a grounder and scored the tying run on Ruiz's pinch-hit double to left. Jimmy Rollins was walked intentionally and Young followed with the winning single to left.
Jake Diekman (1-3) tossed a scoreless ninth for the win.
The Phillies stormed out of the dugout and mobbed Young for the biggest celebration yet in six games under interim manager Ryne Sandberg.
Nolan Arenado's two-out single in the eighth inning had put Colorado up 3-2. Arenado made a game-saving stop at third base in Colorado's 5-3 win on Tuesday. One game later, he poked an opposite field single to right off reliever Justin De Fratus.
Betancourt just couldn't make it stand.
Wilin Rosario homered for Colorado. Chase Utley went deep for the Phillies.
De Fratus hit Charlie Blackmon to open the eighth. Michael Cuddyer hit a one-out single and Arenado made it 3-2 after his run-scoring single.
After losing three of four at Baltimore, the Rockies have dropped two of three so far in the four-game series against the Phillies.
Rockies starter Juan Nicasio allowed two runs — one earned — in 5 2-3 innings and worked out of several jams to keep it close.
Phillies starter Cliff Lee remained winless since July 5 and is 0-4 with two no-decisions since beating Atlanta. He kept the Phillies in this one, striking out six and walking none over seven innings.
The Phillies blew several opportunities to help out Lee and bust the game open.
They stranded runners on second and third when Lee struck out swinging to end the second. They scored only one run after loading the bases with no outs in the fifth. Michael Young grounded into a double play to score one run and make it 2-2. Utley fouled out to end the inning.
Nicasio was chased with runners on first and second and two outs in the sixth. Wilton Lopez fanned John Mayberry Jr. on a check swing to escape the jam.
They had some timely hitting in the first when Utley's 16th homer of the season staked Lee to a 1-0 lead.
Rosario tied it a 1 on a solo shot to right in the second that extended his hitting streak to 12 games. Dexter Fowler ripped an RBI single to left later in the inning for a 2-1 lead but Domonic Brown threw out Jordan Pacheco at home to end the inning.
Notes: Phillies RHP Roy Halladay (shoulder) is set to make his third rehab start Sunday with Double-A Reading. Halladay also clarified some remarks he made after Tuesday's rehab start that made it seem like he endorsed the move to fire Charlie Manuel and replace him with Ryne Sandberg. "I have a lot of respect for Charlie. There were some articles put out that offended me and, I'm sure, offended Charlie. And I called him today and talked to him about it," he said. ... The Phillies signed free-agent OF Roger Bernadina and optioned Michael Martinez to Triple-A Lehigh Valley. ... The Rockies send RHP Chad Bettis (0-2, 5.30 ERA) to the mound Thursday against RHP Kyle Kendrick (10-10, 4.36) in the finale of the four-game series.
Pepsi said slumping sales from Philadelphia's new sweetened-beverage tax are prompting layoffs of 80 to 100 workers at three distribution plants that serve the city.Read More »
- Collegeville man accused of filming girls at high school
- Police: Nurse recorded videos of naked patients
- Woman assaulted, robbed and bound in closet for 4 days
- Support hotline created in Bucks County for first responders
- Bill Cosby case to stay in Montco, be decided by outside jury
- Trial date changed for woman accused of shooting, killing ex-husband
- Updated Record challenging warmth; strong thunderstorms possible
- Man fatally shot in parking lot in downtown Reading
- Updated Fire tears through Easton home
- Updated Pepsi to lay off 80 to 100 workers, citing Philadelphia tax
- Updated Man waives hearing in stabbing of wife, daughter-in-law
- 2 in Reading wiretap case accepted into 1st-time offenders program
- Tinted car windows reveal man wanted in Ohio for assault
- Fallen branch briefly knocks out power in Birdsboro, Amity
- Caught on camera: Powerful storm hits hardware store
- Ex-Trump delegate from Pennsylvania to run for US Senate