ALEXANDRIA TOWNSHIP, N.J. - Earl J. Kerr, 75, of Alexandria Township was found dead in his home Friday.
His son Roy Kerr, 55, is in custody and charged with aggravated assault.
When troopers from New Jersey State Police Barracks in Kingwood conducted a welfare check at the Kerr residence Friday, they discovered the 75-year-old was deceased.
That evening, detectives from the state police and Hunterdon County prosecutor's office arrested Roy Kerr.
He is in the Hunterdon County Jail, charged with second degree aggravated assault. The Honorable H. Matthew Curry set bail at $100,000.
Earl Kerr's body was taken to the Hunterdon County Medical Examiner's Office where an autopsy was performed. As of Monday afternoon, that office had not concluded its investigation and results are pending on cause and manner of death.
"This remains an open and active investigation," said Hunterdon County Prosecutor Anthony P. Kearns III in a news release.
"Our condolences go out to the Kerr family. We commend the troopers and detectives involved in this investigation."
Kearns said the New Jersey State Police Major Crimes Unit, Crime Scene Investigation Unit and Kingwood Station Detectives along with his Major Crimes Unit conducted the investigation of the crime scene.
Anyone with information about what happened can submit anonymous tips by calling Crime Stoppers at 1-800-321-0010 or by going to the crime stoppers website, or text messaging "HCTIPS" plus your tip message to 274637 (CRIMES).
Tipsters can also download the free mobile app "Tipsubmit" and select Hunterdon County to submit anonymous tips via text messaging.
All tips are anonymous and kept confidential.
An environmental group in New Jersey says it will spend $130,000 to help the wealthy Democratic front-runner in the race for governor.Read More »
- Phillipsburg steps back salary ranges after resident complaints
- New Jersey resident finds severed foot and partial ankle in sneaker
- New Jersey police allege gun company sold defective guns
- Man charged with stealing Ronald McDonald statue
- State suspends license of Warren County teacher accused of sex assault
- Authorities investigating after Clinton Township SD received suspicious communication
- Governor Wolf plans to sign Real ID law
- Fatal crash closes I-81 northbound near Frackville
- New Coroner called to crash scene in Ruscombmanor Twp.
- State senate passes Internet gambling bill
- Lower Macungie cancer survivor raises money for research with annual event
- Bluebells not blooming at Lock Ridge Park
- New app aims to save lives in Montgomery County
- New charge for man charged in Forks Township cell phone robbery
- One Tank Trip: Coach #72 at WK&S Railroad in Kempton
- 2 counselors overdose and die at Chester Co. halfway house