ALEXANDRIA TOWNSHIP, N.J. - Earl J. Kerr, 75, of Alexandria Township was found dead in his home Friday.
His son Roy Kerr, 55, is in custody and charged with aggravated assault.
When troopers from New Jersey State Police Barracks in Kingwood conducted a welfare check at the Kerr residence Friday, they discovered the 75-year-old was deceased.
That evening, detectives from the state police and Hunterdon County prosecutor's office arrested Roy Kerr.
He is in the Hunterdon County Jail, charged with second degree aggravated assault. The Honorable H. Matthew Curry set bail at $100,000.
Earl Kerr's body was taken to the Hunterdon County Medical Examiner's Office where an autopsy was performed. As of Monday afternoon, that office had not concluded its investigation and results are pending on cause and manner of death.
"This remains an open and active investigation," said Hunterdon County Prosecutor Anthony P. Kearns III in a news release.
"Our condolences go out to the Kerr family. We commend the troopers and detectives involved in this investigation."
Kearns said the New Jersey State Police Major Crimes Unit, Crime Scene Investigation Unit and Kingwood Station Detectives along with his Major Crimes Unit conducted the investigation of the crime scene.
Anyone with information about what happened can submit anonymous tips by calling Crime Stoppers at 1-800-321-0010 or by going to the crime stoppers website, or text messaging "HCTIPS" plus your tip message to 274637 (CRIMES).
Tipsters can also download the free mobile app "Tipsubmit" and select Hunterdon County to submit anonymous tips via text messaging.
All tips are anonymous and kept confidential.
New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie says he'll consider his options after he leaves office and hasn't declared himself a candidate to work at a sports radio station in New York.Read More »
- Rep. Leonard Lance Town Hall gets loud
- Phillipsburg town officials need to make a decision ASAP when it comes to mold
- Man wanted in Hunterdon County on assault charges
- South Hunterdon School District addresses lead in schools
- New Jersey animal control officer arrested for sexual assault of minor
- Thimble tossed! Game piece voted out of Monopoly board game
- Updated Police make arrest in deadly Palmer Twp. shooting
- Near-record warmth again today
- City of Reading receives FBI subpoena for documents
- Life Lessons: End of life start ups
- Emergency sewer work shuts down Rt. 100 in Bally Borough
- 6 charged in connection with alleged gang slaying
- LVPC releases 'Livable Landscapes' survey results
- ASD hires Alvin Butz for school projects
- Mother charged after concealing death of baby
- Thursday's record-breaking warmth in Allentown