PHILLIPSBURG, N.J. - Bending to intense community pressure, the Phillipsburg Board of Education unanimously voted for a new superintendent from within the district.
They selected Assistant Superintendent Gregory Troxell.
This came two weeks after a massive show of support for Troxell by students, parents, teachers and faculty. They packed a meeting because the board initially did not consider Troxell and there were allegations of political games.
"It is a true honor and privilege to have been selected to serve as the next Superintendent of Schools for the Phillipsburg School District," Troxell said in a statement. "The support that I have received from faculty and staff, parents, students, community members and the board of education has been humbling."
Troxell will succeed retiring superintendent George Chando, effective July 1.
- Two injured in Allentown hit and run
- Updated LCCC closes all campuses due to security threat
- Bank robbed, pair of Wilson schools put on lockdown
- Local students rally for change after Florida school shooting
- Outraged homeowners begin legal challenge against FERC, PennEast pipeline
- New surprises in store for Lehigh Valley Auto Show
- WWII veteran laid to rest in Bethlehem
- Residents fight for their land against PennEast pipeline
- HeartSAFE heroes awarded for saving Wyomissing man's life
- 34-year-old facing charges in relation to possessing heroin