INDEPENDENCE TWP., N.J. - More than a dozen college students from different states are spending much of their summer giving back and helping others.
The group is making a stop in this region.
Members of Pi Kappa Phi Fraternity are spending the week at Camp Merry Heart as part of Build America, organized by Push America. The camp, which is located near Hackettstown, New Jersey, is an Easter Seals camp for people of all ages with disabilities and special needs.
Through the Build America program, volunteers travel down the east coast making stops building accessible amenities at different camps. They started with a week of training in Boston and are now traveling to different camps for six weeks.
"I've only been on this trip for two weeks and I've loved every minute of it," said Jeremy Edwards, a 19 year-old student from the University of California, Berkeley.
"The vision statement of Push America is that Push America will redefine, or change the way, that society views people with disabilities as well as fraternities," he said.
He said there their group is made up of 17 fraternity brothers from 15 schools in ten different states.
Alejandro Pinel, a 26 year-old student from California State Polytechnic University, Pomona, said, "To actually spend six weeks traveling down the coast visiting different sites, that was a huge opportunity for me and to be able to help people along the way, it's just the cherry on top."
"The summer camp experience for them is really one of the only times in their lives where they're able to get away from everything and just enjoy themselves," said Edwards.
The volunteers work throughout the day and spend time doing different activities with the campers when they're not working.
Pinel said, "It definitely keeps us going when we're feeling a little tired , worn out, we push through because we know it's making a huge difference in their lives."
A pressure cooker was found in Terminal A on Saturday afternoon, according to police for the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey.Read More »
- Holiday travelers will encounter rising prices at the pump
- Flemington man facing sex assault charges
- Investigators suspect deadly maneuver in jet crash
- Warren County Freeholders call a meeting of mayors
- Environmental group to spend $130K in governor's race
- Phillipsburg steps back salary ranges after resident complaints
- Mourners deliver flowers in memory of Ernie the giraffe
- How you can help an Allen HS senior in the fight of his life
- Memorial Day services across Berks County
- One year later, police seek answers in Chester Co. woman's death
- Freedom High student walks 22 miles for veterans
- Coroner called to crash in Lower Towamensing Twp.
- Visitors celebrate at Dorney Park despite rainy weather
- A place of healing for veterans
- Walking a mile in their shoes
- Weather stops big guest at Pottstown Memorial Day parade