FLEMINGTON, N.J. - A New Jersey correctional officer has been sentenced for having sex with an inmate.
Thomas Seguine, 34, of Phillipsburg, N.J. was originally charged with official misconduct and sexual assault.
At the time of his arrest Seguine was a Senior Correction Officer and was accused of engaging in a sexual relationship with an inmate at the Edna Mahan Correctional Facility in Clinton Township.
Sequine ultimately pleaded guilty to official misconduct in February.
Sequine was sentenced Monday in Hunterdon County court to three years in prison, with a mandatory two years before parole eligibility.
Seguine must also forfeit his right to employment as a law enforcement officer in New Jersey.
“Everyone is betrayed when a sworn law-enforcement officer violates the oath he or she has vowed to uphold. All inmates have a right to be safe within the institutions where we as a society demand they be detained and should be free of sexual abuse regardless of their crime,” said Prosecutor Kearns.
- Updated State Police investigate domestic homicide in Hamburg
- Allentown bests Reading 3-2 in Battle of the Badges hockey game
- Viewer Photo Gallery: Snowfall
- Teen rescued from cave after becoming wedged between rocks
- Multiple-rollover crash shuts down I-78 West in Berks County
- Hundreds take part in Lehigh Valley Polar Plunge
- Reading ceremony commemorates USS Maine sinking
- Northampton, Monroe County high schools hold Dance-A-Thons
- Dunkin Donuts holds ribbon-cutting ceremony in Berks
- Bethlehem Public Library holds Punk Rock Flea Market to raise money