There are new accusations surrounding a women's prison in Hunterdon County, New Jersey already besieged by allegations of sexual misconduct by male corrections officers.
On Saturday, the Hunterdon County Prosecutor's Office announced that another corrections officer at the Edna Mahan Correctional Facility was arrested on sexual assault and official misconduct charges.
Ronald Coleman Jr. 39, of Bethlehem Township, Northampton County, is accused of having sexual relationships with three inmates.
The former senior corrections officer at the correctional facility is charged with 15 counts, including official misconduct and second-degree sexual assault, according to the prosecutor's office
Coleman had been employed there as a corrections officer since September 2000. He is in Northampton County Jail, awaiting extradition to New Jersey, according to the prosecutor's office.
The charges against Coleman are the latest in a string of misconduct allegations at the women's prison.
Six corrections officers and a trade instructor have so far been charged in the ongoing investigation. One officer and the instructor have pleaded guilty.
Last September, New Jersey lamwakers called for an overhaul at Edna Mahan in response to the sexual misconduct cases. They requested the state Attorney General conduct a "top-to-bottom review" of the Union Township facility in Hunterdon County to determine if a "substantial structural and cultural overall at the prison is warranted."
State Senate and Assembly leaders wrote a letter to the attorney general stating that the scope of allegations against the staff at the facility raises serious questions about the leadership on board as well as its commitment to protecting the female inmates' safety and welfare.
Multiple inmates have filed lawsuits claiming they were sexually assaulted by guards.
New Jersey Gov. Phil Murphy is vowing to sign gun control bills as part of a campaign promise and in response to the fatal Florida school shooting.Read More »
- Hearing on fracking draws dozens, many opposed
- Trenton man pleads guilty to sex assault of child
- 14-year-old charged in shooting death of New Jersey crash victim
- Phillipsburg municipal lot fees still unchanged
- Snow emergencies in place for local areas
- Indoor marijuana farm pitched for Alpha, New Jersey
- Man arrested for robbing Allentown Dominoes at gunpoint
- Former Reading mayor Spencer's trial delayed
- Rainy weather continues this weekend
- Some Poconos students to relocate Wednesday due to blessing ceremony featuring AR-15s
- Updated Murphy promises gun control, but for now reviews policies
- Millions of BB&T customers affected by outage
- Updated Joe Paterno movie coming to HBO
- Updated Man arrested for domestic violence assault in Fleetwood
- Degas painting missing for 9 years found outside Paris
- Florida governor speaks out on Parkland shooting