PHILLIPSBURG, N.J. - A gas station attendant shot during a robbery has now died, and one business owner said the case has the Phillipsburg community shaken to the core.
Kismathdas Kasam worked at the BP station on Main Street, and neighbors said he was a very friendly man.
According to the owner of the gas station, Kasam's wife is staying with other relatives, and everyone is hoping police catch the people responsible.
Hasan Jafar owns the National Fuel gas station across the street from Kasam's apartment on Main Street, which is down the street from the BP where Kasam was killed.
Jafar said Kasam came into the store for coffee and sometimes just to talk.
"If he ever had a problem like with his computer or getting online or anything, we always helped him and assisted him regardless of how busy I was here," said Jafar. "I'd always make time for him."
On January 5, just after midnight, police said Kasam was working at the BP station in the 700 block of Main Street, in Phillipsburg, N.J. He was shot during a robbery attempt.
"A robbery like this gone wrong which turns now into a homicide, it startles the whole town." added Jafar. "The community is shaken to the core."
The shaken community is also thinking of ways to protect themselves.
Jafar said he worries about his employees who work at the station, especially his mother, so he has alarms, a panic button to inform police, and other means of protection.
"We stocked up on firearms and stuff, but that is more like a defensive deterrent,"said Jafar. "We're not going around looking for trouble or anything, but we are ready just in case something might go wrong."
Police in Warren County are investigating a grisly discovery made Sunday.Read More »
- New Jersey police allege gun company sold defective guns
- Man charged with stealing Ronald McDonald statue
- State suspends license of Warren County teacher accused of sex assault
- Authorities investigating after Clinton Township SD received suspicious communication
- Firefighters injured while battling flames in Washington Borough
- Minister in Hackettstown accused of taking upskirt photos, videos of church worker
- Allentown police looking for driver who hit, dragged boy on bike
- XO Communications cutting more than 50 jobs in Berks
- Northampton DA investigates trooper-involved shooting
- Fidget Spinners causing controversy in schools
- Giraffe arrives at Lehigh Valley Zoo
- BCAP holds open house at new location in downtown Reading
- Report: MGM/Sands sale falls through
- Leesport VFW honors young soldier home from service
- Township manager says development at Braden Airpark in early stages
- Pennsylvania moves to comply with federal Real ID law