HUNTERDON COUNTY, N.J. - So far there have been 40 heroin overdoses in Hunterdon County this year, 15 of them fatal.
In 2016 the county had 45 heroin overdoses the entire year. The numbers, staggering to Hunterdon County Prosecutor, Anthony Kerns, is why he teamed with law enforcement to launch Operation Downtown Shutdown.
The sting targeted alleged drug dealers in the county, 11 now under arrest and two still wanted by police. Six of the people charged with selling drugs are from Flemington, New Jersey.
In a written release about the drug sting, Kerns wrote, "While we have learned that this isn't a problem that can be fought on the law enforcement front alone, we will continue to work with our local and state law enforcement partners to track down and arrest those that sell illegal narcotics."
- Updated Morning dense fog gives way to warm sunshine later today
- Blakeslee woman killed in Rt. 115 head-on collision
- Pa. GOP to take newly-released congressional map to court
- Project Lifesaver assists police in finding the lost
- Updated What the new congressional map means for the Lehigh Valley
- Updated Upper Macungie police use donation to start child fingerprint, DNA registry
- Hockey players on a mission of hope
- Bethlehem Township updating ordinances
- Updated New Congressional districts present challenges for Berks leaders
- History's Headlines: This old house finds a new life