HUNTERDON COUNTY, N.J. - A woman entrusted to care for needy animals in Hunterdon County, New Jersey is charged with doing just the opposite.
The now-former director of the Hunterdon Humane Animal Shelter is facing more than a dozen counts of animal cruelty.
New Jersey authorities say neglect toward nine cats inside the shelter led to 84 year old Theresa Carslon, the head of the shelter, to be arrested and charged with 18 counts of animal cruelty.
"It's hard to believe because, she loves animals and I can't believe she would ever not feed them," volunteer Janette Dowe said.
"It's not her job to feed the cats. She has employees to feed the animals and clean the cages," added fellow volunteer Mary Ellen Soldavin
Both are long time volunteers, running the shelter thrift shop. They say Carlson has been the shelter's leader for decades and say the animals are well taken care of.
However the New Jersey SPCA says the shelter has had issues for years, and this latest incident involved the nine cats not being properly fed.
Wednesday afternoon Hunterdon County courts ruled to remove Carlson from her post.
The State SPCA will now take over the shelter.
State and local Departments of Health are responsible for inspections and licensing of animal shelters.
The state SPCA is now expected to make changes and improvements to Carlson's shelter.
"It's such bad publicity for the shelter. We have animals at heart and do want them to be adopted," Dowe added.
Carlson faces up to six months in jail, $18,000 in fines and $20,000 in restitution.
She did not return our calls for comment.
New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie says he'll consider his options after he leaves office and hasn't declared himself a candidate to work at a sports radio station in New York.Read More »
- Rep. Leonard Lance Town Hall gets loud
- Phillipsburg town officials need to make a decision ASAP when it comes to mold
- Man wanted in Hunterdon County on assault charges
- South Hunterdon School District addresses lead in schools
- New Jersey animal control officer arrested for sexual assault of minor
- Thimble tossed! Game piece voted out of Monopoly board game
- Updated Palmer Twp. shooting suspect charged with criminal homicide
- FBI subpoenas Reading for documents from previous administration
- Missing 6-year-old Connecticut girl found in Pennsylvania
- Judge: Only 1 Cosby accuser can testify at sex assault trial
- Near record warmth again today
- Updated Giant launches 'Bag Hunger' campaign with one-day give
- Jackpot-winning Cash 5 lottery ticket sold in Berks
- 'Berks County Time Train' to air 200th episode
- Updated Police nab pair advertising pot sales online
- State police reveal cost of local police coverage: $600M