CLINTON TWP., N.J. - An inmate was seriously injured at a youth correctional center in New Jersey, officials said Wednesday.
The inmate suffered severe trauma at the Mountainview Youth Correctional Facility in Annandale, Clinton Twp., Hunterdon Co. on Tuesday, said officials, who added that the victim was flown to the Morristown Trauma Center. He was last reported to be in very serious condition.
The victim was found in a dorm where a number of inmates live, and officials said his injuries are consistent with a possible assault.
"This kind of incident is rare," said Gary M. Lanigan, commissioner of the N.J. Department of Corrections. "Our department's Special Investigations Division has an excellent working relationship with the Office of the Hunterdon County Prosecutor, and we're confident that the cause of the inmate's injuries will be identified. If it is determined that the injuries came about as the result of a crime, those responsible will be held accountable."
The investigation continues.
- New Jersey resident finds severed foot and partial ankle in sneaker
- New Jersey police allege gun company sold defective guns
- Man charged with stealing Ronald McDonald statue
- State suspends license of Warren County teacher accused of sex assault
- Authorities investigating after Clinton Township SD received suspicious communication
- Firefighters injured while battling flames in Washington Borough
- APD looking for woman who yelled "sorry" after dragging boy on bike behind car
- The "Textalyzer" could be coming to a police station near you
- XO Communications cutting more than 50 jobs in Berks
- New Palmer receives $347K grant for Chrin Field development project
- New Phillipsburg steps back salary ranges after resident complaints
- New Reading Planning Commission, Alvernia move forward with Health Complex
- New Pa. DEP Holds IESI Landfill Meeting
- New Easton's new police headquarters taking shape
- 11 people seated on Cosby jury; defense sees race bias
- Northampton DA investigates trooper-involved shooting