CLINTON TWP., N.J. - An inmate was seriously injured at a youth correctional center in New Jersey, officials said Wednesday.
The inmate suffered severe trauma at the Mountainview Youth Correctional Facility in Annandale, Clinton Twp., Hunterdon Co. on Tuesday, said officials, who added that the victim was flown to the Morristown Trauma Center. He was last reported to be in very serious condition.
The victim was found in a dorm where a number of inmates live, and officials said his injuries are consistent with a possible assault.
"This kind of incident is rare," said Gary M. Lanigan, commissioner of the N.J. Department of Corrections. "Our department's Special Investigations Division has an excellent working relationship with the Office of the Hunterdon County Prosecutor, and we're confident that the cause of the inmate's injuries will be identified. If it is determined that the injuries came about as the result of a crime, those responsible will be held accountable."
The investigation continues.
New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie says he'll consider his options after he leaves office and hasn't declared himself a candidate to work at a sports radio station in New York.Read More »
- Rep. Leonard Lance Town Hall gets loud
- Phillipsburg town officials need to make a decision ASAP when it comes to mold
- Man wanted in Hunterdon County on assault charges
- South Hunterdon School District addresses lead in schools
- New Jersey animal control officer arrested for sexual assault of minor
- Thimble tossed! Game piece voted out of Monopoly board game
- Updated Palmer Twp. shooting suspect charged with criminal homicide
- FBI subpoenas Reading for documents from previous administration
- Missing 6-year-old Connecticut girl found in Pennsylvania
- Judge: Only 1 Cosby accuser can testify at sex assault trial
- Near record warmth again today
- Updated Temps at or near all-time February records
- Giant launches 'Bag Hunger' campaign with one-day give
- Jackpot-winning Cash 5 lottery ticket sold in Berks
- 'Berks County Time Train' to air 200th episode
- Updated Police nab pair advertising pot sales online