READINGTON TWP., N.J. - A Hunterdon County man has been arrested in the sexual assault of a teenager.
Prosecutors charged Kyle James Andrews with engaging in sexual acts on at least two occasions with a child who was older than 13 but younger than 16.
Andrews, 20, of Readington Township, used social networking to contact his victim, prosecutors said.
"Social media is a common activity for children, but as parents we need to be vigilant, monitor their online use and be cognizant of the potential dangers," warned Hunterdon County Prosecutor Anthony P. Kearns III, in announcing the arrest. "Crimes involving children are a serious offense. If found guilty, the defendant can be sentenced to give to 10 years in prison."
Andrews was charged with sexual assault and endangering the welfare of children. Andrews was serving a term of probation for a lewdness conviction when arrested last Thursday. His arrest was announced Monday.
The defendant was committed to the Hunterdon County Jail. Bail was set at $200,000.
The arrest was the result of a joint investigation by the special victims unit of the county prosecutor's office and the Readington Township Police Department.
That investigation is ongoing.
Anyone with information is asked to contact the county prosecutor's office at 908-788-1129.
- Investigators suspect deadly maneuver in jet crash
- Warren County Freeholders call a meeting of mayors
- Environmental group to spend $130K in governor's race
- Phillipsburg steps back salary ranges after resident complaints
- New Jersey resident finds severed foot and partial ankle in sneaker
- New Jersey police allege gun company sold defective guns
- Passing shower this afternoon, mainly dry next two days
- Summer recipes on the grill
- World War II veteran discusses issues faced by those returning from war
- 75-year-old man dies days after crash on Route 22
- Summer getaways in the Lehigh Valley
- Famed Berks wrestling coach gone, but not forgotten
- Local police step up patrols for Memorial Day weekend
- History's Headlines: Baseball at Bethlehem Steel
- Boyertown State Theatre goes digital
- Police: Teen shot in Pottstown