READINGTON TWP., N.J. - Authorities in Hunterdon County have charged a Connecticut man with vehicular homicide in connection to an alleged DUI wreck Tuesday afternoon in Readington Township.
The Hunterdon County Prosecutor's Office charged Joe A. Holmes, of Willimantic, Conn., with second degree vehicular homicide while driving under the influence and reckless driving. The 57-year-old is being held at the Somerset County jail.
The Readington Township Police Department responded to a crash just before 4 p.m. Tuesday on northbound Route 202 at Summer Avenue. Investigators said Holmes' Chevy pickup collided with the back of a Volkswagen GTI driven by Wilson A. Sumbana, of Somerset County.
Emergency personnel took the 57-year-old to the Hunterdon Medical Center, where he was later pronounced dead.
Sumbana's car struck a third vehicle, but the occupants were uninjured. Authorities said Holmes also escaped injury.
“Our condolences go out to Mr. Sumbana’s family and friends during this difficult time," county Prosecutor Anthony Kearns III said in a statement. "It is important, especially during the busy holiday season, to drive with extreme care and awareness and to be reminded of the life altering dangers of consuming alcohol or drugs, which adversely affects your ability to safely operate a motor vehicle.”
The New Jersey State Police fatal accident unit assisted in the investigation.
The crash remains under investigation, and additional details will be released once they become available. Anyone with any other information about the crash is asked to contact the Readington Township Police Department at 908-534-4035 or the Hunterdon County Prosecutor’s office at 908-788-1129.
For a second weekend, drivers are being warned to avoid Interstate 78 westbound near the New Jersey-Pennsylvania border.Read More »
- New Jersey sees $13 million in funding to combat opioids
- Man arrested in connection with fatal overdose in New Jersey
- New Jersey medical marijuana program moves to mobile platform
- New Jersey governor OK's automatic voter registration
- New Jersey man sentenced for sexual conduct with minor
- Police-involved shootings discussed at New Jersey town hall
- Updated Body pulled from water in Carbon County
- Updated Upper Bucks residents complain of mystery explosions
- Updated Easton, Lewisburg residents winners in the 2018 St. Luke's Half Marathon
- State police searching for man who committed armed robbery in Pike County
- Coroner identifies woman found dead in Monroe County
- Memorial service set for woman killed in Southwest flight
- Lehigh Valley Zoo celebrates Earth Day
- People go back to the 80's to raise money for American Red Cross
- Several hurt after fire levels detached garage in Berks County
- Pennsylvania Game Commission to conduct controlled fire in Berks, Schuylkill Counties Sunday