PHILLIPSBURG, NJ - The search is on for the man police say shot and killed a 22 year old woman inside her Phillipsburg home just before 11 o'clock Wednesday night.
Investigators haven't released the victim's name but neighbors say the victim is Melissa Williams, a single mother of two.
Arrest warrants are out for the Phillipsburg man they think is responsible.
26-year-old Salim Newton is described as 6-foot-2-inches tall and weighing 180 pounds.
Police say Salim lives just blocks away from where the shooting occurred on Spruce Alley.
One neighbor who did not want to be identified says she may have seen the people responsible and says Newton was not alone.
"I was playing basketball with two of my friends, and I heard gunshots" she said.
"We came around the corner of her carport and we noticed two guys they were standing in the middle of the alley way, they were looking towards us. And then the neighbor of where the incident happened actually stepped outside, was on the phone and they took off down the alley way."
WFMZ was unable to confirm if investigators are even looking for a second person.
Officials say Newton may be driving an older, full-sized, white SUV with New Jersey plates.
Anyone with information is asked to call Phillipsburg Police at 908-454-1121.
An environmental group in New Jersey says it will spend $130,000 to help the wealthy Democratic front-runner in the race for governor.Read More »
- Phillipsburg steps back salary ranges after resident complaints
- New Jersey resident finds severed foot and partial ankle in sneaker
- New Jersey police allege gun company sold defective guns
- Man charged with stealing Ronald McDonald statue
- State suspends license of Warren County teacher accused of sex assault
- Authorities investigating after Clinton Township SD received suspicious communication
- Man suspected of robbing Forks Verizon store to stand trial
- Lawmakers send Real ID bill to Wolf, who plans to sign it
- Updated Suspicious package clears school, closes Route 724 in Cumru
- Updated Former BCIU director, RSD superintendent enters race for Congress
- Updated Jury of 12 on Bill Cosby sex assault case includes 2 blacks
- Updated Route 724 reopens upon completion of rain-delayed rock project
- Updated Police looking for Walmart TV thief in Lower Nazareth
- Updated One Tank Trip: Coach #72 at WK&S Railroad in Kempton
- Updated Bluebells not blooming at Lock Ridge Park
- Updated Man charged in Palmerton driveway paving scam