PHILLIPSBURG, N.J. - Officials said a 22-year-old man was killed after he was hit by a train in New Jersey.
Michael Beaman, of Phillipsburg, was struck by a Norfolk Southern train and died at the scene, according to Warren County Prosecutor Richard Burke.
Police said it happened on the Greens Bridge stretch of tracks in the area of Kent Street Friday night.
Burke said at least one more person was on the tracks with Beaman at the time and was injured. He did not know the extent of the person's injuries.
They were riding motorized bikes on the tracks, Burke said.
Officials said from their initial investigation, the train seemed to be going within the speed limit regulations.
The incident appears to be an accident, Burke said.
A GoFundMe was set up to raise money for the family.
The prosecutor's office and Norfolk Southern are investigating.
Congressman Leonard Lance of New Jersey announced the Department of Health and Human Services awarded the state nearly $13 million to combat the opioid crisis.Read More »
- Man arrested in connection with fatal overdose in New Jersey
- New Jersey medical marijuana program moves to mobile platform
- New Jersey governor OK's automatic voter registration
- New Jersey man sentenced for sexual conduct with minor
- Police-involved shootings discussed at New Jersey town hall
- Woman calls for stricter pet laws after dog dies at groomers
- Toxicologists testify about Benadryl, quaaludes in Cosby retrial
- Lehigh University dissolves Pi Kappa Alpha fraternity
- Woman finds another piece of Southwest Airlines plane debris
- PennDOT repairs hole in Hellertown Water Street Bridge
- Updated Police ask retailers to be on lookout for gift card scams
- Updated Berks funeral home invites condolences to Bush family
- Crews clear logjam from Schuylkill River near Douglassville
- Magic returns to Reading with reopening of Mingus Magic Shop
- Volunteers spruce up local veteran nonprofit
- Free Lego exhibit in Allentown displays children's designs