PHILLIPSBURG, N.J. - Officials said a 22-year-old man was killed after he was hit by a train in New Jersey.
Michael Beaman, of Phillipsburg, was struck by a Norfolk Southern train and died at the scene, according to Warren County Prosecutor Richard Burke.
Police said it happened on the Greens Bridge stretch of tracks in the area of Kent Street Friday night.
Burke said at least one more person was on the tracks with Beaman at the time and was injured. He did not know the extent of the person's injuries.
They were riding motorized bikes on the tracks, Burke said.
Officials said from their initial investigation, the train seemed to be going within the speed limit regulations.
The incident appears to be an accident, Burke said.
A GoFundMe was set up to raise money for the family.
The prosecutor's office and Norfolk Southern are investigating.
Authorities said no threats were made.Read More »
- Willow Grove Elementary students back in building, fungus resolved
- New Jersey farm quarantined after horse contracts herpes
- Oscar winner to judge at River Town Film Festival
- St. Luke's nationally recognized for geriatrics services
- N.J. chase suspect turns himself in after call from police
- Phillipsburg Staples to close before Christmas
- Updated 132 residents in Chester County senior facility as fire began
- Updated Coach on hurt Lonnie Walker: 'He's going to play in Reading'
- Updated Plenty of sunshine for the rest of today but breezy and chilly
- Updated Pen Argyl residents to weigh in on Weona Park plans
- Updated Santander Arena, district team up to collect school supplies
- Police allege man kidnapped wife, held her at gunpoint
- Helpful hints for cooking Thanksgiving dinner
- Sunrise Chef: Louie's
- Life Lessons: The tricky topic: Refusing the salary question
- 20 injured in fire at Chester County senior living community