PHILLIPSBURG, N.J. - He coached the first wrestling team to go undefeated in more than 40 years.
For that reason and more, Phillipsburg High School wrestling coach Dave Post was named "Coach of the Year" Tuesday night by town council.
"He has made us all very proud," Mayor Harry Wyant said of Post, whose Stateliners were 18-0 for the 2013-2014 season.
That's the first time that's happened in Phillipsburg since the 1969-1970 wrestling season.
Council also honored wrestlers Brandon Paetzel -- a sophomore and state runner up this year -- and senior Jake Kocsis, praising them both as scholars and athletes.
In other business, developer Nicholas Piperata says he still wants to build a grappa distillery in Phillipsburg, but has decided on a new location.
Piperata was before council last month with plans to make the Italian fruit-based liquor at a building on Foundry Way.
Since then, he's determined that the space won't work.
"It's a wonderful building," Piperata told council. "But at this time, it wouldn't be cost efficient."
Instead, he's looking at a smaller property at 111 Bronico Way.
Council passed a resolution Tuesday naming Piperata the official redeveloper of the property, which allows him to move forward with state licensing.
New Jersey's overall crime rate in 2015 decreased by 5 percent compared to 2014, but there was a sharp rise in reported sex crimes.Read More »
- 600-year-old tree that witnessed history taken down
- Catnip Friends Rescue owner facing animal cruelty charges
- Freeholders call for more Route 31 Shuttle riders
- Christie unveils online drug disposal locator in New Jersey
- Christie to mark prescription drug disposal event
- Closings expected in Florida doctor's Medicare fraud trial
- Vehicle hits Berks apartment building; 2 families displaced
- Phantoms eliminated from playoffs
- Candidates for Allentown mayor weigh in on the issues
- Bethlehem Twp. police search for purse snatchers
- Birdsboro church closes its doors after 180 years
- Fans rally to support Phantoms hockey
- Yo ho ho! Pennsylvania aims to smash US embargo on Cuban rum
- Girlfriend's on-air killing drives anchorman into politics
- New Salvation Army opens in Berks
- First responders practice emergency preparedness at LVIA