PHILLIPSBURG, N.J. - A 69-year-old man of Phillipsburg was arrested Nov. 2 on charges of sexual assault with a minor.
Officials say Thomas Degroat committed multiple acts of sexual contact including sexual penetration, specifically digital penetration, upon a child under 13 years old. Degroat knew the child, according to detectives.
He remains in the Warren County Correctional Center after the state filed a motion for pretrial detention.
The charges Degroat faces are aggravated sexual assault, endangering the welfare of a child and sexual assault by contact. If proven guilty on certain charges, Degroat could spend up to 10 years to life in imprisonment.
New Jersey Gov. Phil Murphy is vowing to sign gun control bills as part of a campaign promise and in response to the fatal Florida school shooting.Read More »
- Hearing on fracking draws dozens, many opposed
- Trenton man pleads guilty to sex assault of child
- 14-year-old charged in shooting death of New Jersey crash victim
- Phillipsburg municipal lot fees still unchanged
- Snow emergencies in place for local areas
- Indoor marijuana farm pitched for Alpha, New Jersey
- Updated Police, crews on scene of incident in Exeter Township
- Parkland schools to reopen Monday after bus garage fire
- Caught on camera: Domino's workers apprehend armed robbery suspect
- Wet weekend weather continues with steady rain this morning
- Wallenpaupack School District responds to nearby church ceremony involving AR-15 rifles
- Indivisible Berks Holds Rally in Support of Unions in Preparation of Major Supreme Court Case
- People pay final respects to Reverend Billy Graham
- Lower Macungie fire causes heavy damage to attached garage
- Murphy promises gun control, but for now reviews policies
- Former Reading mayor Spencer's trial delayed