PHILLIPSBURG, N.J. - Sunday was the day we honor the men and women who protect our nation: Veterans Day. One ceremony in Phillipsburg, N.J., included service members serving far from home.
As a Blackhawk chopper landed outside Phillipsburg High, inside the school's gym, there was a solemn tribute to those who already served.
"My stepfather here, Mike, is an ex-Marine," said Charles Dale. "Former Marine."
The ceremony also honored those still fighting, including a video feed from two local service members serving far from home.
"Good morning," Ensign Will Rimmler told the crowd by video conference from the U.S.S. Morganthau in California. "I guess it's good afternoon out there."
Rimmler is a 2008 Phillipsburg High graduate who thanked the veterans who came before him.
"Thank you for your service, thank you for the sacrifices that you've made," he told them.
For the young, Sunday's ceremony was a chance to honor earlier generations.
"I am very, very, very proud of my grandfather," said Brittany Luckenbach.
"It's great to see young kids actually involved in something that happened so long ago," added Martin Altemose, a New Jersey National Guard member.
For the older generation, it was a chance to reflect.
"It's a great thing to be remembered," said retired Marine Ron Adams. "You were glad that you were in the military, knowing that the country appreciated everything that you did."
A pressure cooker was found in Terminal A on Saturday afternoon, according to police for the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey.Read More »
- Holiday travelers will encounter rising prices at the pump
- Flemington man facing sex assault charges
- Investigators suspect deadly maneuver in jet crash
- Warren County Freeholders call a meeting of mayors
- Environmental group to spend $130K in governor's race
- Phillipsburg steps back salary ranges after resident complaints
- Coroner called to Penn Twp. crash along Rt. 183
- Nazareth woman dies days after being struck by vehicle
- Man tells Allentown police he was stabbed in the back while walking along the street
- Walker Twp. man arrested for firing gun near neighbor's family gathering
- Life Lessons: The nurse who paints her patients
- Some rain/thunder this morning; PM shower/t-storm
- Purple Heart recipient gets honored Memorial Day weekend
- Lehigh Valley Zoo giraffe dies from neck injury
- Catasauqua police nab armed robbery suspect
- Countryside is making a strong comeback