LAMBERTVILLE, N.J. - The South Hunterdon School District said they are working quickly to replace pipes and fixtures after high levels of lead were found in school water last week.
Superintendent Lou Muenker answered questions from parents at a public meeting in Lambertville, NJ on Monday night.
Muenker said safe drinking water is available at all schools and the district has disabled the faucets and fountains where high lead levels were observed.
Once the district learned of the elevated lead levels they immediately hired a plumber to replace old pipes, which were the primary cause of the problem, Muenker added.
Muenker explained the school buildings are old and the district hadn't had to replace plumbing and fixtures until now.
Only four water fountains and sinks tested positive for high lead levels, a small number compared to all plumbing in South Hunterdon schools, Muenker said.
“It's a little daunting to think about replacing a lot of infrastructure but we’re not there," Muenker said.
Muenker told parents he is recommending the school board purchase new water fountains that include built-in filtration systems.
- Students get first-hand accounts of the horrors of heroin
- New Jersey teen accused of taking handgun to school
- Willow Grove Elementary students back in building, fungus resolved
- New Jersey farm quarantined after horse contracts herpes
- Oscar winner to judge at River Town Film Festival
- St. Luke's nationally recognized for geriatrics services
- High winds expected throughout the day
- Updated Domestic assault suspect arrested after intense standoff
- State Police identify suspect in deadly police shooting
- Upper Macungie Township Police announce seat belt enforcement
- Heartwarming video lands local family on Ellen Show
- Reading Holiday Parade brings out some holiday cheer
- A tale of two mayors and a police station in East Greenville
- Santa and ABATE bring Christmas a little early
- Lehigh defeats Lafayette, wins Patriot League title
- AP: Wolf starting to look like 'two-term Tom' as 2018 approaches